Best indoor exercise...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is the best exercise in terms of getting your heart rate up and beating faster, but something that can be done in-doors? I thought maybe jump rope or a combination of pushups and situps? Any thoughts, because I dont have a treadmill...though my top notch gym does, with bad winter weather its not always possible to make the drive.

What do you do during the winter to keep fit, when not being able to get into the gym?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Rhymes with "flex"
  • Reply 2 of 10
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    ...and "duck".
  • Reply 3 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

What is the best exercise in terms of getting your heart rate up and beating faster, but something that can be done in-doors? I thought maybe jump rope or a combination of pushups and situps? Any thoughts, because I dont have a treadmill...though my top notch gym does, with bad winter weather its not always possible to make the drive.

What do you do during the winter to keep fit, when not being able to get into the gym?

I jog in place with while doing bicep curls with a small pair of dumbells.

Some years ago there was a book published called "Heavy Hands". The idea is that your legs aren't very good at driving you heart/lung system to aerobic levels because the work of holding you up all day have made them pretty efficient. By getting your arms into the mix, doing light enough work to sustain for 20-40 minutes but heavy enough get your heart beating, you get a much more efficient workout than using your legs or arms alone (hence the popularity of cross-training machines at the gym).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I would have to say jump-rope would be one of the best, but can be one of the worst at the same time. Make sure your knees and back are in good shape before starting this. All that jumping can really destroy your knees very quickly if you aren't careful.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Hehe, I'm an 18 year old ex high school football tailback-I think I can handle it. But youre right, jump rope can totally gouge the knees of any and all dexterity.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    We run stairs. Either in building A: from the first to the ninth floor, or in buliding B: from the first to ?36th floor. Two at a time is much harder than one. It's also murder to your knees, but a good workout. We tend to run up and down, stretch, repeat, with a bit of a rest and water every four sets (building A).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Also rhymes with "doink".
  • Reply 8 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you're doing it right, jumping rope isn't that tough on your knees. Don't jump very high, stick to single jumps, vary how far you have your hands out. If I have only a short time, I'll hit the basement and bang off a few 3 minute rounds. Do a couple sets of pushups and situps after you're all warmed up and breathing hard and you've got a nice little fast workout.

It'll probably make you thirsty, and a nice cold beer fixes that just swell. Just go easy on the cheese with your post-workout nachos!

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Rhymes with "flex"

hehe, u know it
  • Reply 10 of 10
    There is a work out I do that comes from the martial art Wing Chun.

Bruce lee, who studied Wing chun for many years, and adapted much of the styles for his own Jeet Kun Do philosophy/style.

Anyway, it's designed to improve your tendon strength and capacity in the upper body. This includes tendons in your back, shoulders, arms, and chest.

Set-up: take a good sized towel, the thicker the better, but any towel will do, not too big, but not too small either. Lay it flat on the ground and roll it tightly together.

Set-up2: Take the rolled up towel and Twist big knots into it, with an average sized towel you should get about 3-4 maybe 5 knots, but I've found that it works even if you only have 2-3 knots.

Work-out: holding the ends of the towel firmly, tug repeatedly, not a big long consistent tug more like *tug* *tug* *tug* *tug*

Challenge: do this for 3 minutes.

When I first started I could only do just over 1 minute, then after about a week, I could do 2 1/2 minutes, now I can do 10, I have noticed a great improvement in the strength and look of my arms/back/shoulders and chest.

Try it out! it's easy, do it whenever you want, the cool thing about tendon strength with this work-out is, your body forces you to stop when it has had enough, so you can't over-do it, the strength you gained, unlike muscle mass, is permanent, if you can do it for 10 minutes today, you will still be able to do it for 10 minutes even if you don't do it at all in a month.*

I know some other tendon exercises for your arms and hands, if you like this one and are interested in these others

* I learned these from SiFu Brian Edwards at The Victor Wooten Bass/Nature Camp While I trust SiFu, I cannot actually verify if that permanent thing is true, my common sense tells me it isn't, but my experience tells me it could be(I have been doing this nearly everyday since camp, but I missed 2 weeks once, and when I got back to it I was at the same place I left off)