New Powerbooks need more than a G5...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The new IBM Thinkpad T41P, while much more expensive than the 15" PowerBook, has it beat in many respects. Firstly, its 14.1" Screen boasts a 1400 x 1050 resolution. Second, it includes many features usually only found in PowerBooks like built-in bluetooth and 802.11g, and gigabit ethernet. Finally, it's got a ATI Mobility FireGL T2 video card, which is better than the cards in the G5 desktops.

When the Titanium first became available, it was years ahead of the PC notebooks. What can Apple do to make sure the PowerBook G5 leaves the T41P in the dust. Oh, and you better not mention expansion bays, colors, or docks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Higher res, top-of-the-line mobility GPU, g5 same prices

that'd do it
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Put a G5 in it?---In addition...

Standard wireless options across the board, more standard RAM, and make it freaking black. Honestly, why not black aluminum? So many business freaks wont buy a business laptop unless it is black, regardless of how classy it looks in silver.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

The new...

while much more expensive than the 15" PowerBook...

Firstly, its 14.1" Screen boasts a 1400 x 1050 resolution...

When the Titanium first became available, it was years ahead of the PC notebooks. What can Apple do to make sure the PowerBook G5 leaves the T41P in the dust. Oh, and you better not mention expansion bays, colors, or docks.

We are into aluminum now, not titanium, and of course a new laptop would have a better graphics card then one that is over 5 months old. Also I love the resolution on my 15" AluBook. I guess I could go higher...1400x1050 would be higher which is nicer (not sure of that ratio) but on a smaller screen? That wouldn't be as good.

Why are you saying it includes built in bluetooth and WiFi...I'd expect that out of something that costs more. Also what OS does it run? That is the deciding factor there. Lastly, how thick is it?
  • Reply 4 of 66
    I love the res on my 15" too, it's pretty much perfect, but it would be nice to at least have the option for a higher res ya know?
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

We are into aluminum now, not titanium, and of course a new laptop would have a better graphics card then one that is over 5 months old. Also I love the resolution on my 15" AluBook. I guess I could go higher...1400x1050 would be higher which is nicer (not sure of that ratio) but on a smaller screen? That wouldn't be as good.

Why are you saying it includes built in bluetooth and WiFi...I'd expect that out of something that costs more. Also what OS does it run? That is the deciding factor there. Lastly, how thick is it?

I know we're into Aluminum now...I've got one. I was talking about the gap between the original PowerBook G4 and PC Notebooks of that time which were decidedly "wireless."

I was saying that the IBM has built-in bluetooth and WiFi to illustrate that the gap between PowerBooks and PC Notebooks has lessened.

The T41P runs Windows or Linux, of course, but we're not talking about software. It is also 1" thick, or .1" thinner than the current 15" Powerbook.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Wish list for a new PowerBook?

1. Jack for an external WiFi antenna or else design a high gain antenna.

2. Better positioning of the trackpad so I won't accidently click the mouse with my right palm while typing.

3. Robust battery life. A solid five hours without turning off various options or slowing down the CPU would be great. Then you could easily leave the charger home when going out for the day.

4. Lighter weight.

5. G5.

6. 7200 RPM HD as an option (in case it takes more power)

7. Better implementation of the backlit keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "The new IBM Thinkpad T41P, while much more expensive than the 15" PowerBook, has it beat in many respects."

We all know the PB needs a G5, so why compare it to the only laptop on earth that is actually *more8 expensive?

"Firstly, its 14.1" Screen boasts a 1400 x 1050 resolution."

But I *like* my eyes!

"Second, it includes many features usually only found in PowerBooks like built-in bluetooth and 802.11g, and gigabit ethernet."

How does having what the PowerBook has make it beat the PowerBook? Doesn't that just mean parity in those areas?

"Finally, it's got a ATI Mobility FireGL T2 video card, which is better than the cards in the G5 desktops."

Okay, a better graphics card. That's a concrete improvement.

"When the Titanium first became available, it was years ahead of the PC notebooks. What can Apple do to make sure the PowerBook G5 leaves the T41P in the dust."

Based on your insightful analysis I suspect a G5 and a faster video card might work.

"Oh, and you better not mention expansion bays, colors, or docks."

Yes, because it would be a shame if we got an expansion bay.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    PowerBook Wants:

1)G5

2)Power. I haven't upgraded from a Ti because of horrible reports of battery life. This *must* improve.

3)Weight. AlBooks are heavier than TiBooks and ever-so-slightly larger. Bzzzzzt. Wrong direction, Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    I finally got to see a Dell Squintronic in action. My god! I just don't get what the point of getting something like that is, when then the user needs to set Word to dispaly a page at 215% so they can see what they are typing. He was opening menus, and dialogs and would need to lean in really close to see what he was selecting. It was just ridiculous.

I currently only have a 12", and must say the resolution is great for the size. I haven't yet seen a 15", so I can't say if a little more would still be in the realm of sanity.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think everyone else has outlined most of what I would have said in response. Given that, the Powerbooks do have two things that the Thinkpad doesn't have... FireWire 800 Ports and DVI output.

On a glance at the IBM web site, I couldn't quite figure out if they even had regular Firewire, but I'll assume they do.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    From IBM's site:

Weight[2]

5.4 lbs

The superscripted [2] means without the optical drive. Yeah, ok, but if you add the optical drive, it is probably more like 6 lbs - a half pound heavier than a PowerBook.

Height

1.0 in

.1 inch is NOTHING!

Travel weight

5.00 lbs - what, without a battery? please!

To sum it up, it has decent specs, but the sucker is $3,499.00. Oh and no DVD writable drive. Compare Windows XP to Mac OS X. Good God, not even comparable.

Besides the superdrive 15" model is only $2.599.00. So it is $900 more for a IBM with lesser hardware. I don't know but I would save the 900 and spend it on software or memory. No brainer really. Specs are not everything. There is just no better laptop than a PowerBook. Still!!!
  • Reply 12 of 66
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I finally got to see a Dell Squintronic in action. My god! I just don't get what the point of getting something like that is, when then the user needs to set Word to dispaly a page at 215% so they can see what they are typing. He was opening menus, and dialogs and would need to lean in really close to see what he was selecting. It was just ridiculous.

This resolution thing really bugs me!

I am sure many people just don't realize that more real estate will mean that things will apear smaller!

I have nearly come to blows with clients who wonder why the web site I am designing for them is too big for the screen and they have to scroll in every direction to see it all, only to discover that there 17" (or even 19") desktop monitor is set to 800 x 600 res.

On the laptop side these guys with 1680 or more res screens are always looking at web sites that then leave half the screen bathed in white space. PC users never seem to want to minimise windows! Either that or after squinting at everything for a couple of weeks they learn how to switch the resolution and complain that everything looks a bit fuzzy.

I think people just see "loads more pixels on this screen" and assume it must be better.

Clients. Who needs 'em?

End of rant!
  • Reply 13 of 66
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I agree about screen resolution. Roughly 100 dpi is the maximum needed for most of us until the OS is made resolution independent at which point something like 200 or 300 dpi would be cool. You'd see the same screen as now but laser sharp.

I have a question about the video chips. The ATI chip in the current 15" Al PB is really good. Scrolling is fast, QT movies play well, DVD playback is good. Apart from faster game play, is there any benefit to be had from a different display card? I understand bragging rights, but in the real world would I ever notice a difference?
  • Reply 14 of 66
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

This resolution thing really bugs me!

I am sure many people just don't realize that more real estate will mean that things will apear smaller!

I have nearly come to blows with clients who wonder why the web site I am designing for them is too big for the screen and they have to scroll in every direction to see it all, only to discover that there 17" (or even 19") desktop monitor is set to 800 x 600 res.

On the laptop side these guys with 1680 or more res screens are always looking at web sites that then leave half the screen bathed in white space. PC users never seem to want to minimise windows! Either that or after squinting at everything for a couple of weeks they learn how to switch the resolution and complain that everything looks a bit fuzzy.

I think people just see "loads more pixels on this screen" and assume it must be better.

Clients. Who needs 'em?

End of rant!

You hit the nail on the head with that post!

i don't understand why people always want more pixels. Sure its great if your screen area increases, but more pixes w/out more screen area means smaller everything. I think the powerbook has got it right with respect to resolution for the size. I sit 3-4 feet away from my 15" PB and everything is readable. Some stuff might be *a bit* too small, but usable nevertheless even from 3-4 feet away. Any more pixels would make things too small.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

You hit the nail on the head with that post!

i don't understand why people always want more pixels. Sure its great if your screen area increases, but more pixes w/out more screen area means smaller everything. I think the powerbook has got it right with respect to resolution for the size. I sit 3-4 feet away from my 15" PB and everything is readable. Some stuff might be *a bit* too small, but usable nevertheless even from 3-4 feet away. Any more pixels would make things too small.

I don't think the 15" PowerBook has the appropriate resolution. Everything is too big. You don't have to worry about text being too small with higher resolution because you can always make it bigger. However, I always feel cramped on my PowerBook.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

PC users never seem to want to minimise windows!

On the first point, I know some users like this. I usually keep my apps open and maximized too, but we have Expose!

As for the pixels, I agree too. We have a few Sony Vaios at work and they have quite high resolution, but when you reduce it to a usable setting, everything is quite "fuzzy". Bah...
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

I don't think the 15" PowerBook has the appropriate resolution. Everything is too big. You don't have to worry about text being too small with higher resolution because you can always make it bigger. However, I always feel cramped on my PowerBook.

Cramped by what exactly. Window size? I don't think I've ever felt that way on my 15" Titanium nor my 17" PowerBook. I just traded in my 17" for a 12" PowerBook because the 17" was just too big to carry around everyday. I love the 12" and use it with the Bookendz and external LCD monitor. It rocks in this aspect. Much nicer to type stuff on the 12" in your lap too. Don't have to worry about balancing the 17" while typing - like right now.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    A hypothetical Powerbook G5 needs to be like a miniaturized 1.6 GHz PowerMac G5

15.2" and 17" Powerbook G5:

1.6 to 1.8 970 CPUs

800 and 900 MHz processor bus

Dual channel PC2700

4 SO-DIMM slots

SATA notebook drive

Display options

15": 1280x850, 1440x900

17": 1440x900, 1680x1050

13.3" Powerbook G5:

1.4 GHz 970 CPU

700 MHz processor bus

Dual channel PC2700

2 SO-DIMM slots

SATA notebook drive

Display: 1152x768

And lots of I/O in both. Bluetooth, WiFi, Firewire 400/800, USB, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    About the higher LCD resolutions. Really, what does it matter to people if it was a build-to-order option?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

A hypothetical Powerbook G5 needs to be like a miniaturized 1.6 GHz PowerMac G5

15.2" and 17" Powerbook G5:

1.6 to 1.8 970 CPUs

800 and 900 MHz processor bus

Dual channel PC2700

4 SO-DIMM slots

SATA notebook drive

Display options

15": 1280x850, 1440x900

17": 1440x900, 1680x1050

13.3" Powerbook G5:

1.4 GHz 970 CPU

700 MHz processor bus

Dual channel PC2700

2 SO-DIMM slots

SATA notebook drive

Display: 1152x768

And lots of I/O in both. Bluetooth, WiFi, Firewire 400/800, USB, etc.

Sounds about right. The 4 SO-DIMM slots may be a bit much though.