Differnce between Duplicate and Copy?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Pretty basic but I don't know the difference between Duplicate and Copy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hstierho

Copy allows you to Paste whenever you want, while Duplicate copies and pastes in one action, in the same directory.

You have to Paste after Copying for there to be a duplicate.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Duplicate produces an immediate duplicate of your selected file(s) in the same folder as the original(s).

Copy merely loads up the clipboard with information about which file(s) should be copied. The copy doesn't take place immediately, it only takes place after you perform a Paste operation, by which time you may have a different folder open into which to place your copies.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Copy allows you to Paste whenever you want, while Duplicate copies and pastes in one action, in the same directory.

You have to Paste after Copying for there to be a duplicate.

Thanks! When you get to be 70 it takes awhile, but with this kind of help I'll get there.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Copy preserves the filename if you paste in a different location.

Duplicate usually renames the file "blah.jpg copy" then increments subsequent copies 'copy 2' etc
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

When you get to be 70 it takes awhile, but with this kind of help I'll get there.

When I turned 40 two years ago, one of the promises I made to myself was never to let age become a barrier to learning (the other was never to stop seeking out new experiences).

You inspire me hstierho. More power to you. I hope you stick around. I for one, would gladly welcome your perspective on things.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

When I turned 40 two years ago, one of the promises I made to myself was never to let age become a barrier to learning (the other was never to stop seeking out new experiences).

You inspire me hstierho. More power to you. I hope you stick around. I for one, would gladly welcome your perspective on things.

Crazychester you have it right, also just take one day at a time, and count today as a blessing!!