G4 performance problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I also have a G4 dual 1.25GHz, 1GBram, 120Gb HD, DVD-RW MAC OS 9.2.2

There are 2 problems with this one

1. There are times when the computer becomes REALLY slow, in writting just a 3-page word document. It takes 2-3 seconds to diplay a letter from the moment it is pressed on the keyboard until it appears to the screen.

The machene has alot of Fonts 263. What could be the reason and what the solution?

2. In the dial-up internet connection through the built-in 56K modem, WHEN it connects, the browsers diplay max 2 pages and then they stuck. The connection speed is 16 or 28K and very unstable. It does not download/uplad anything. In the same line my laptop PC connects at 52K every time. I tried various deferent browsers (IE, Netscape, mozilla, etc) but all produced the same resumts. Is there a problem with the modem. From my ISP they said to find modem drivers but... they didn't know muxh about MAC's

Any solution? Ideas? suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    1. Get Mac OS X Panther.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Why on earth are you still using an ancient system like Mac OS 9 on such a wonderful computer?

It's like torturing puppies. Think of the puppies!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    But at least it's not Windows...remember, "every time you boot windows, God kills a kitten."

Won't someone please think of the kittens!

Seriously though, get OS X, and soon. It's your only hope.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'd say your hopeless to tell you the truth. I'll give ya $500 for it
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    1. We have about 16000 fonts on our machines but only a handful open at anyone time. If too many fonts are open the machine will go slow, I think the max num of fonts open is about 250-280.

2. Had a por modem performance problems with about 5 dual 800's and upgrading to OS X fixed it. I don't know enough about OS 9 to look into the problem.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    There's another thread dealing with the same issue. I'll repeat my reply:

ATM Deluxe is a MUST when installing additional fonts in OS 9. ATM Deluxe makes sure only active fonts are installed. Also, it allows you to scan for corrupt fonts, which is most likely your problem. Not to mention it's just bad form to "install" fonts by dragging them to your system font folder as it puts a major drain on your available memory, particularly in OS 9.

However, OS 9 sucks anyway...font manager or not. Get Panther and give your Mac the stability it deserves.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No point in getting a dual processor Mac if you're going to be running OS 9. In fact, if you're in OS 9, there's really no point to getting anything faster than about a 600 MHz G3.

If you buy 10.3 now, it'll be the greatest performance and productivity gain that $129 can possibly buy. Plus you can get it for less than $129 almost certainly; through various online deals you should be able to pick up OS X for about $100.