Just got iLife and FInal Cut Express...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am trying to expand my knowledge and ability as a DV editor, and just have a few questions about FCE and Garageband.

Is the interface simpler than Final Cut Pro? Compared to iMovie 4 what are the advantages of using it? I am so used to iMovie's interface and I can just fly through it while still doing a relatively precise job, will FCE become that way or will it always be a burden?

iLife seems excellent so far but I was wondering one thing about a 3rd party hardware add on for Garageband and an electric guitar. This Cable seems to be what I would need to connect the guitar to the computer. My question is, and I feel stupid asking it, does my iMac 800 Superdrive have an audio in port? hehe, i should just check the specs I guess but with this arsenal of nerds, answers come quickly! Thanks guys, your fellow Mac nerd on a friday night, signing off to enjoy iLife and FCE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    FCE is very similar to FCP in terms of functionality and interface.

FCE only supports DV codec and nothing else (while FCP can support way more codecs + SD + HD support)

FCP has more real-time color correction stuff. Comes with Cinema Tool, SoundTrack, LifeType, Compressor.

Once you are used to FCE you pretty much have no more learning curve on using FCP.

No matter what machine you are using. Garage band uses USB (looks like it) as input device. You may have to get a "convertor box"
  • Reply 2 of 9
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    current iMacs have an audio in...the first set of iMac FP (like yours and mine) do not...i bought an iMic from griffin to import audio into GB

g
  • Reply 3 of 9
    congrats on the purchases....

fce is excellent. it's more stable and quicker than imovie, thghou the non-destructive editing in imovie4 is a definate step up.

about garageband:

if you have the typical cable to plug an electric guitar into an amp, your basically set. rather than doing usb stuff, you can go to radioshak and buy a converter from the "typical cable" to the mini jack used on all the line in ports on computers, then hook your guitar into your comps mic port, go into system prefs and fix accordingly, then record away. i hope this made sense, and i saw this done a couple days ago and it worked fine, so if i need to elaborate just let me know. keep the questions coming!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yeah, what exactly do you do? Dumb it down for me, (pretend) I'm dumb.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, this would be a perfect thread for Digital Hub!

Moving now...

• Reply 6 of 9
    Messiahtosh. I know what you are saying. I got into video editing part time on my Mac about a year ago. I make good money on projects and I use iMovie. It does everything I need and people love my work. It is so fast and easy to use. A while back I actually bought FCP, but as of yet have to learn it. Need to force myself to do it sometime....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Ok, since this got moved to the digital hub I'll post a link to a Garageband song I made...Yes Virginia, there are lyrics....

Lyrics came from Green Day's "Pulling Teeth" but I made it more Sad Core. Let me know...or maybe I shouldnt be saying that? haha

Here she is

Oh yeah, thanks for the comments everyone, though I am nervous now about being bashed cause of the song. Well, I guess I'm not that worried, I'm kinda used to it around here.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

current iMacs have an audio in...the first set of iMac FP (like yours and mine) do not...i bought an iMic from griffin to import audio into GB

g

Hey, Gelding, I'm in the same position as you, machine wise. I've read on the Apple Discussion forums that the iMic suffers from occasional "pops" and other noises. Also, that electric guitars need a bit more in the way of a pre amp for level of signal. However, it looks to be the simplest solution for me. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on quality so far.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    New GarageBand song that sounds like Metropolis

It just eerily reminds me of the soundtrack from the movie Metropolis. I can picture the hands of the clock...