iBook won't sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Sigh. Looks like my iBook G4 (12.1") is starting to become an ordeal. I had it fixed last week to deal with a wonky trackpad (they replaced the top case, giving me a dent in the process...grrrrr). Then, I've been noticing that it wouldn't go to sleep when I closed the lid. Thought it might just be a 1-time thing, but I did a bunch of playing around with the PMU and PRAM tonight, and it looks like something is definitely wrong.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm running 10.3.2 with the latest Security Update & AirPort software. Also, this past week I've installed InDesign, the newest Wacom Graphire 3 driver (off their website) and I've activated a local iDisk. But I know for sure this pre-dates the iDisk and I'm pretty sure the other software as well.

Any advice/wisdom/ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    very AFAIK:

the automatic sleep is switched by hardware:

in the upper left corner of the lid is a magnet, in the opposite part in the body is a little reed switch.

when you close the lid, the reed gives an impulse to some electronics, the system does know "oops, nighty night!" - that's it.

some brave heards did try to fumble with the firmware to get rid of these function ("the largest iPod ever!")... normally, your installations shouldn't effect that.

back to the replacement center \
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

very AFAIK:

the automatic sleep is switched by hardware:

in the upper left corner of the lid is a magnet, in the opposite part in the body is a little reed switch.

when you close the lid, the reed gives an impulse to some electronics, the system does know "oops, nighty night!" - that's it.

some brave heards did try to fumble with the firmware to get rid of these function ("the largest iPod ever!")... normally, your installations shouldn't effect that.

back to the replacement center \

That;s my guess too. I'm thinking something got messed up when they were switching cases. Well, now I won't feel so bad complaining about the scratch
  • Reply 3 of 5
    about the iPod idea:

when your screen is "on" (the backlight is on), you can "fry" your machine! the closed lid plus the few watts of the backlight make any temperature system obsolet....-

btw: good morning canada! is it so f....in' freezing cold as over here in munich?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

about the iPod idea:

when your screen is "on" (the backlight is on), you can "fry" your machine! the closed lid plus the few watts of the backlight make any temperature system obsolet....-

btw: good morning canada! is it so f....in' freezing cold as over here in munich?

That's what I thought. Also why I'm glad I didn't close the lid, think it was asleep, put it in my bag and carry it around for awhile.

As for the weather, oh yes, nice and cold. Hopefully the days of -30 (with wind) have passed. These are the days you regret choosing the apartment with the stylish exposed brick wall.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

? These are the days you regret choosing the apartment with the stylish exposed brick wall.

i thought, you mounties all live in wooden houses

bye!