iTunes store question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i have heard that music purchased in the istore can only be played when the authorised computer is connected to the net to confirm the email address embedded in the encryption, is this true?

i buy cds - no credit card YET

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I haven't tried it, but im pretty sure you don't have to be connected to the internet. If you needed net access, how would the iPods work with iTMS songs? I believe Apple has a database on their server that includes what computers are authorized, and that you can't authorize more computers if your # of authorized computers is too much.

Aside from the ipod, how would it work if you bought iTMS songs on a powerbook, and wanted to listen to them on a flight or something. I'm pretty sure we would have heard more complaints if there was anything like this in place.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    you have to be connected only the first time you try to play a song on an "unauthorized" machine. once you give that machine access to hte file or whatever, i think you're ok. keep in mind that you can only authorize like 5 computers to play a purchased song due to copyright stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you have to be connected only the first time you try to play a song on an "unauthorized" machine. once you give that machine access to hte file or whatever, i think you're ok. keep in mind that you can only authorize like 5 computers to play a purchased song due to copyright stuff.

You have to be connected to the internet to play the song for the first time on a computer that did not download it seeing as the first computer is auto-authorized as you must have had internet access to download it in the first place. After the first authorization the computer does not need to connect to the internet to authorize it. Oh and you can have up to three computers, mac or pc, authorized at any one point in time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    iTMS threads belong in Digital Hub.

Moving...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

iTMS threads belong in Digital Hub.

Moving...

very sorry
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

You have to be connected to the internet to play the song for the first time on a computer that did not download it seeing as the first computer is auto-authorized as you must have had internet access to download it in the first place. After the first authorization the computer does not need to connect to the internet to authorize it. Oh and you can have up to three computers, mac or pc, authorized at any one point in time.

Just to clarify, you only have to be connected one time to authorize one song bought under a certain account. After that, any songs purchased under that same account will play on that machine without it being connected to the net.

This is a major advantage over the sites that use Windows Media - every song must be played the first time while the machine is connected to the net, because a separate file containing the license information for the song is downloaded the first time it is played. So you can't just buy a song and download it straight to your MP3 player; you have to play it on the computer you purchased it on first.