Dean Has More Delegates (Now) Than Kerry????

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From the Newsmax site:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...0/140405.shtml

The interesting part:

Quote:

However "electable" Kerry may be, he is far, far from having the nomination sewn up. Try on this question: Despite all the banner headlines proclaiming Kerry to have "won" in New Hampshire and Iowa, why does Howard Dean have more delegates than John Kerry? As of today (1/30/04) Dean has 113 to Kerry's 94.

That's because the Democrat primaries were designed by Rube Goldberg. If you're a Democrat, you don't have to win to win.

In the Republican primaries or the presidential Electoral College, the candidate who wins a plurality of the votes in each state gets all the delegates, or electors, for that state. It's winner take all.

But the Democrats do it proportionally. When John Kerry got 38 percent of the vote in New Hampshire, he didn't "win." He got 38 percent of the New Hampshire delegates pledged to vote for him on the first ballot ? only ? at the Democratic convention in July.

It gets much more complicated. The proportionally elected delegates only make up about half of the total convention delegates. The rest are "at large" delegates, "unpledged" delegates who can vote for anyone, and "PLEOs" ? party leaders and elected officials ? who try to play power broker.

Is this for real? Dean is actually winning?

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pri...ard/index.html

There are a number of voting superdelegates (unpledged delegates), unrelated to the state caucuses (or so I believe).
  • Reply 2 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I don't know about all the nonsense that your talking about up there, all I know is that Bush is going to win. He is really unbeatable right now.

**DMBand gets ready for a flame fest**

Vote Bush!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Bush is not unbeatable. He is close.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's pretty ridiculous, IMO. Everyone jumped on the Dean bandwagon when his poll numbers were up, and then oops... actual democratic voters don't really want him to win. So now Gore and all those delegates who wanted to suck up to the Dean Machine look kinda silly now that Kerry is going to be the nominee.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's pretty ridiculous, IMO. Everyone jumped on the Dean bandwagon when his poll numbers were up, and then oops... actual democratic voters don't really want him to win. So now Gore and all those delegates who wanted to suck up to the Dean Machine look kinda silly now that Kerry is going to be the nominee.

All I have to say is Joe Lieberman.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    anyone else notice that dean started heading south when gore came aboard? coincidence? i think not.......

cnn describes dem's delagate procedure

it worse than someone trying to explain cricket.....
  • Reply 7 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Note to self:

(And these were the guys who complained that the guy with the most votes should win)

Go Dean get those... ummm...superdelegates... umm... yeah...

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Troll.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

All I have to say is Joe Lieberman.

Troll.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Troll.

Except he was serious. (Your point that I responded to was pretty much correct.)
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Kerry is not going to be the nominee.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Okay, I'll give Nick a second chance:

Who are "these guys?"
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Except he was serious. (Your point that I responded to was pretty much correct.)

Yeah I don't really know what he's talking about so I'm just ignoring it. He seems to think it makes some sense, so at least he's happy.

Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Mind if I dig this up again in about 3 weeks after everyone else has dropped out?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

are you expecting a tuesday edwards uprising? or dean from the dead comeback?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wow that pledge/convention thing is confusing. Wouldn't a candidate who looks to be strong, even without the majority pledged support, be able to get the nomination if he is lauded by the media ala Dean until the last day before the Iowa Caucus?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Okay, I'll give Nick a second chance:

Who are "these guys?"

Ummm... let me see.... Democratic delegates, Democratic nominee, Democrats complaining that the election was stolen....... that would be.... Democrats.

I really didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

I will find it absolutely hilarous though if Dean somehow gets the nomination with anything less than winning the popular vote when all votes are tallied across all states. In otherwords even if he doesn't win every state, he better have earned more popular votes than anyone he beats when totaled across all states.

If this didn't happen and Dean somehow got the vote via these party superdelegates or some other such process, it would pretty much make my year. I would have to laugh until milk came out my nose.

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 22
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Ummm... let me see.... Democratic delegates, Democratic nominee, Democrats complaining that the election was stolen....... that would be.... Democrats.

I really didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

I will find it absolutely hilarous though if Dean somehow gets the nomination with anything less than winning the popular vote when all votes are tallied across all states. In otherwords even if he doesn't win every state, he better have earned more popular votes than anyone he beats when totaled across all states.

If this didn't happen and Dean somehow got the vote via these party superdelegates or some other such process, it would pretty much make my year. I would have to laugh until milk came out my nose.

Nick

This point absolutely cannot be denied by Shawn & Co. If Dean wins without winning the popular vote, especially since Gore of all people is endorsing him, that would be THE DEFINITION of irony.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

I would love for you to explain how me mentioning Dean garnering and attempting to win the nomination via delegates instead of the popular vote is somehow trolling. Especially in a thread titled Dean has More Delegates (Now) Than Kerry???

In otherwords the poster was mentioning how absurd this Democrats nomination process is and questioning it.

I posted a nice link to a story in another thread that actually mentioned that this was Dean's strategy, forgo the popular vote and instead seek delegates which would give him the nomination and hence the victory.

NY Times

I do find it highly ironic that Dean is just considering going for delegate rich states and is ignoring even campaigning in some of the states that have few delegates at stake. Amazingly Dean is showing exactly why we have the electoral college and why it works. If anything Dean is showing exactly why the Bush win was proper. Ignore the common man, the small states, and middle america pretty much at your peril.

Nick
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I like Dean, but after that video footage of him in Iowa, he is damaged goods. I went to a local Kerry rally in KC last week and met Kerry. Pretty cool stump speech. The same night Edwards was in town too, but I missed him. I really want to see Clark in person.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

... Mind if I dig this up again in about 3 weeks after everyone else has dropped out?

Three weeks? Try 18 hours. I don't know about everyone dropping out after tonight but Kerry's on track for an awfully big night.