Ink & Graphics Tablet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I just went out and bought a new tablet to match the new Mac. Now, not knowing whether it would indeed be compatible I took the Mac along and tried it out in the shop. It worked fine. So, I bought.

Came home. Plugged in. Tried to use. The mouse pointer stays firmly in the top-left of the screen, not working at all...

Help! why is this happening, when it was working fine earlier!

Thanks,

Mike Peel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

Hi all,

I just went out and bought a new tablet to match the new Mac. Now, not knowing whether it would indeed be compatible I took the Mac along and tried it out in the shop. It worked fine. So, I bought.

Came home. Plugged in. Tried to use. The mouse pointer stays firmly in the top-left of the screen, not working at all...

Help! why is this happening, when it was working fine earlier!

Thanks,

Mike Peel

Which tablet is it? Did you install a driver for it? if so, check to see if there is a new preference pane under System Preferences and see if playing around there will help.

I myself am new to the world of tablet (I just got a Graphire 3 this week). One thing I noticed is that changes I made to the tablet preferences would only hold if I turned on my G5 with the tablet already plugged-in, not if I plugged it in once the machine was already one. Perhaps someone wiser in the ways of the tablet could help me out here (or tell me if this is normal).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    It's a UC-Logic one. As I said. cheap. No drivers - no real Mac support, it's meant for PCs. But it worked when I plugged it in... The only new preferences I can see are for Ink.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    As a general rule, I only buy products specifically developed for use with Mac OS X. Even if you get that tablet working now, there's no guarantee it will work after a system update.

That said, the Wacom tablets, though cross-platform, are really built with the Mac in mind, following industrial design trends set by Apple and what not. They've also got a wide variety of tablets and tablet accessories. Their drivers are usually kept current with Mac OS X.

Save yourself some stress and buy products that are fully supported.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

It's a UC-Logic one. As I said. cheap. No drivers - no real Mac support, it's meant for PCs. But it worked when I plugged it in... The only new preferences I can see are for Ink.

Run back to the store and get your money back.

Don't stray from the True Faith again.

Good luck.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Darn it; it was a really good deal (£5)...

Ah well. Back it goes, and I'll go shopping for a Wacom one shortly. Thanks all!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Darn it - I'd got Mike to pick me up two of those tablets... but I can't get to try them until after the "return by" date.

I don't think I want to risk it, which is a shame. As he said, it's a good deal. I don't think I can afford Wacom ones

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

As a general rule, I only buy products specifically developed for use with Mac OS X. Even if you get that tablet working now, there's no guarantee it will work after a system update.

That said, the Wacom tablets, though cross-platform, are really built with the Mac in mind, following industrial design trends set by Apple and what not. They've also got a wide variety of tablets and tablet accessories. Their drivers are usually kept current with Mac OS X.

Save yourself some stress and buy products that are fully supported.

I'd have to agree with Michael on this one. Get a Wacom. I've had a Wacom Intuos for about 4 years now, that I've never had any problems with. Once you get used to it, you'll love it. It also saved me (a lefty) from having to use a mouse since my right hand was killing me from all those repetitive tasks. A tablet of course is also a big time saver when editing images in photoshop. It's worth every penny.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Buy a Wacom... you won't be disappointed.

Jb