iPhoto deleted my RAW pictures

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My own fault, but a warning to anyone who shoots raw on their camera. I had taken some photos in both jpg and raw format. I plugged my camera into my computer, and iphoto popped up. I asked it to delete the photos after downloading. Well, it downloaded everything except the RAW files, and deleted them as well. Ouch.

Is there a way to stop iPhoto from popping up automatically when you insert a digital camera? I'm going to have to use image capture from now on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I am using a Canon 10D shooting simultaneous RAW and jpeg. Using iPhoto4 to move the pics (with the delete files from camera after download button checked) I get a dialog box after importing that says there were certain files on the CF that iPhoto did not import. These are the RAW files. They are left intact on my CF card and the jpegs are deleted.

b
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

My own fault, but a warning to anyone who shoots raw on their camera. I had taken some photos in both jpg and raw format. I plugged my camera into my computer, and iphoto popped up. I asked it to delete the photos after downloading. Well, it downloaded everything except the RAW files, and deleted them as well. Ouch.

Is there a way to stop iPhoto from popping up automatically when you insert a digital camera? I'm going to have to use image capture from now on.

You can set the default opening program from within Image Capture. Just set it to whatever program you want to use.