image editing with MacOS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, I have MacOS X with no graphical apps that didn't come packaged with my ibook. (ie. photoshop)

What I want to do is basically get an image and crop it (cut off sides) and examine/alter the pixel size (i.e. 100x100) to make an avatar.

I tried using AppleWorks, Preview, and ColorSync (the only apps I can find that edit images) but I can't get them to do what I want to do. I figure Apple Paint is probably my best hope, but I find it's not as intuitive as MS Paint (at least from my newb perspective)

What should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Preview should do the job. It can both scale and crop images.

Another option is to use the venerable GraphicConverter. This sweet little app is included with the PowerBooks but not the iBooks.

About GraphicConverter

Download GraphicConverter

This app is like a mini Photoshop. I use it nearly on a daily basis. It's the perfect companion tool to Photoshop and does quite a lot of tasks quicker and better than Photoshop.

GraphicConverter is shareware, but nothing of it is crippled. The only penalty for not registering is a nag screen you have to wait for when you launch the app.

Furthermore, since you're looking for a third-party software title to do the job, I'm moving this thread to the Software forum.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Brad forgot one, iPhoto will crop, resize, change color...that type of thing as well. Although I like graphic converter, I love photoshop...but the power of photoshop is way too much for most people. In iPhoto, select the photo you want and press apple+I to get info and it will tell you pixels, resolution, pretty much anything you want to know about the picture. And cropping, resizing, and other things are pretty much self explanatory.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Ah, yes! I forgot about iPhoto.

I guess I consider it to be in a different league since it really isn't intended as a standalone image editor. Your image has to be in iPhoto's library to get anything done, a strange behavior in itself.