Favorite Folder view and why....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What is your favorote folder view and why?

Or which is the best folder view for what situation?

I keep switching back and forth between the folder views. I guess there is no best one. It seems like it depends on what I'm looking for. Bu if anyone has any opinions go right ahead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    list view sorted by date modified
  • Reply 2 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Column, hands down. Depth and breadth at one glance.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Column view, without a doubt. Combines the tidy look of list view with unparalleled overseeing capability. Even though list view pummels column in sorting and data display, columns + spring-loaded folders can't be beat when moving files around on your drives.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    i use column view nearly all the time for drill down. but i really wish there was a way to arrange column view by date modified.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'm all about listing right now, I guess it carries over from older systems for me. I've never really tried column view, might be time to take the plunge.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Columns 99.9%!

I permanently have two wide column windows open from moving files from one to the other. Most of my files are very deep and this lets me navigate to them quickly and preview them when I'm there.

I'll use List now and then, and Icon ever so rarely. They are just so slow and show so little of the path hierarchy.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Columns all the way. Its the best way to quickly get around a drive.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I love icons. Visual feedback at its finest! Well that and tradition.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Mostly column view. I'll go more with the list for my document and image files where I need to know the dates modified or sizes.

The only thing I use icon view for is my icon collection.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Agreed.

I can pick out an icon in a page of 30 icons much quicker than I can a name in an alphabetical list of 30 names. I usually don't even have to think about it; it's just a quick glance.

48x48 size icons arranged by name is my pick.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Column view rules. At work I keep two column view windows open at all times on the my 2nd monitor, for my finder-ing needs. One fills top of screen and the other fills the bottom, so you can easily navigate around and copy/transfer/compare things from one folder to another.

2nd most used is List view sorted by date.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    i use column view most of the time, except with my D/Ls folder, then i use list view sorted by date modified
  • Reply 13 of 27
    columns 90% of the time (including previewing quicktime movies or mp3s)

list 7% (date sorted, occasionally size sorted)

icon 3% (mainly just for visual overview of icon or image folders)

command line .0000001% (permissions checking)

or something roughly like that.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    The only time I use the "Finder" is when I am checking my download's folder and moving items out of it. That window is always in List view sorted by date modified.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Column view for general purpose navigation.

List view for huge directories.

Icon view for graphics/photo directories.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I use the default 'folder' view. Mainly because I like the quality of the icons I use, and you can barely see them in column view. And because I dislike the color white, and with standard view you can change the background color.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

list view sorted by date modified

that is normaly my very own "content view", - "project view" is mostly set to icon view. as brad mentioned, grabbing a particular file is very easy, if you match it at one glance.

usally, i keep holding one finder window "set to colum view" in the dock, - to my very convenience.

best
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jkarc21jkarc21 Posts: 132member
    I'd have to say that all of the views have their benefits depending on what you're doing. However, most of the time, I stick to List View sorted by Date Modified.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Column view, always.

Sometimes, however, I still have trouble getting folders on my desktop to open in column view. I click on View in the View menu and select "as columns". Won't change it. I click on View > View Options and deselect and reselect show preview columns. That sometimes seems to do the trick.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Agreed.

I can pick out an icon in a page of 30 icons much quicker than I can a name in an alphabetical list of 30 names. I usually don't even have to think about it; it's just a quick glance.

48x48 size icons arranged by name is my pick.

Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

me, too. icons rock. i have so many icons, i can sort out my folders just by looking at them. my brother likes them, too. he has his icon sizes 128x128 in all his windows. i like big icons, too. i like around 52x52 in finder windows.

on desktop: 128x128.