Favorite TV series?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't post much in AO... but I figured, what the hell, I'll start a more lighthearted thread about fun stuff.

Obviously there are way too many shows to list in a poll, so just chime in with your favorite TV series and maybe some background as to why you like it or how you got into it.

I go first:

#1 for me, by FAR, is Babylon 5. It's funny, I didn't get into it until late last year when a friend introduced me to it. He sent me a few really good episodes, like the Point Of No Return/Severed Dreams two parter (for those of you familiar with the series) and In The Shadow Of Z'Ha'Dum. This piqued my interest and I ended up really getting into the show. I now own seasons 1, 2, and 3, and I have the season 4 DVD set on order (I'll get it in a week). I find it to be great fun because unlike most sci-fi TV shows, there is a huge story arc that involves lots of changes not just from season to season, but from episode to episode. I'll admit that season 1 was not that great, but after that things really took off. It seems as though this series was meant for DVD sets, though, and I could imagine it being difficult to get into unless you had seen it from the beginning. Much more depth than the whole Get Into Trouble, Get Out Of Trouble formula used by Star Trek (though I do admit that TNG was awesome and DS9 was pretty good too). Sci-fi these days is a joke, though. Enterprise is a steaming pile.

Oh yeah, and my favorite episode is the War Without End pair. There are some pretty mind-blowing concepts in there, and those two episodes remind me of how good JMS is at explaining things away if need be. The way it ties in with so many other things that were said up until that point is just amazing.

I also really enjoy Seinfeld. I don't watch it regularly and I don't even know if there are DVD sets available for it, but it's really funny and the humor has a way of always applying to your own life (which just makes it better of course).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    My current favourite TV series is South Park, by far. It's the most consistently clever stupidity on the air.

Clone High is hilarious late at night on Teletoon, but I don't think any new episodes are being produced.

I'll echo your love of Seinfeld. I catch the odd rerun in that after-six-but-not-quite-primetime limbo of TV timeslots.

Used to watch Star Trek (TNG and DS9) religiously when the episodes were new, but my tolerance for stellar anomalies and Mr. Worf wore out a few years ago.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    American Chopper and Dave Chappell's show.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hockey Night In Canada.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Best way I judge a show is if I am willing to watch it in reruns already knowing the plots and jokes and memorable lines. By that token:

The Simpsons

M*A*S*H

The Sopranos

with Curb Your Enthusiam becoming something to add to this list.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    WWE RAW

COPS

Star Trek

Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Twilight Zone (original)

Dragon Ball Z

The Big O

South Park

Justice League
  • Reply 6 of 28
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Here's what I watch on a semi-regular basis:

The Daily Show

Good Eats

Inuyasha

Cowboy Bebop

Futurama

The Family Guy

I would watch NewsRadio religiously if I could find a station that airs it.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    It used to be B5 or Star Trek but now it's the new BSG! The rumor on the formus for SciFi ( well not really a rumor anymore since contracts have been signed ) says the series is a go for summer. If you haven't seen this don't judge it by the old BSG. Same basic plot, totally different show. IMO a lot better.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Best series (some now dead)

Farscape - better than B5, IMO. (killed by SciFi network)

The Tick (live action) - killed, but all episodes (including one unaired) are on DVD

Family Guy - now back in production - animation for adults (and kids)

West Wing - US politics with a Nobel Prize winning president - great writing

Frontline - PBS documentaries par excellence

Enterprise - getting better, but still handicapped by 80s ballad theme song

HNiC - especially when they show Canucks games

But by far the coolest 'television' of the last month has been NASA TV on the web.

Those martian sets and cinematography are unmatched.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    CSI

Scrubs

Monk
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Best series (some now dead)

Farscape - better than B5, IMO. (killed by SciFi network)

The Tick (live action) - killed, but all episodes (including one unaired) are on DVD

Family Guy - now back in production - animation for adults (and kids)

West Wing - US politics with a Nobel Prize winning president - great writing

Frontline - PBS documentaries par excellence

Enterprise - getting better, but still handicapped by 80s ballad theme song

HNiC - especially when they show Canucks games

But by far the coolest 'television' of the last month has been NASA TV on the web.

Those martian sets and cinematography are unmatched.

By the way I also think Enterprise is doing better but they still need to do more. If I were them I'd pull in writers from other sucessful genre shows. The time for the closed door is gone. The franchise is on the line.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    imho, movies are better, but when I do watch tv:

The Family Guy (Stewie!)

Simpsons

Everybody Loves Raymond

King of Queens

Mythbusters (ever watch it?)

and the biology nerd in me seeps through: Discovery Channel/National Geo/TLC shows
  • Reply 12 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Simpsons

Family Guy

South Park

I'm not a big TV watcher, but those three have to be a the top of the list. I can't really think of anymore now though.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Seinfeld

Family Guy

South Park
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Cheers

Wings

Miami Vice

West Wing (I second the nod for excellent writing)

I used to watch a lot or ER when I was hanging out with some nursing students.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Magnum PI

Star Trek

MASH

Earth 2 (it died so young)

Simpsons

Futurama

Seinfeld

The Muppet Show

CSI

Threat Matrix

My wife is a HGTV junkie...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I hardly ever watch TeeVee, but I try to get near one when Fear Factor is on. Makes me smile.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Earth: Final Conflict

Enterprise/Voyager/TNG

Simpsons

Family Guy

Firefly

Outer Limits

Stargate SG1

Special Unit 2

Malcom in the middle
  • Reply 18 of 28
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

It used to be B5 or Star Trek but now it's the new BSG! The rumor on the formus for SciFi ( well not really a rumor anymore since contracts have been signed ) says the series is a go for summer. If you haven't seen this don't judge it by the old BSG. Same basic plot, totally different show. IMO a lot better.

I'm sure that it was completely unintentional, Rabid Bush Supporter that I am (right now, anyways), but you have totally, totally made my day. Thank you.

The new BSG will/could be totally ground breaking.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 19 of 28
    FAMILY GUY!!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    The only tv show I've watched at all lately is Mr. Show With Bob and David on DVD. ****ing awesome.