DAMNIT MMD Powermac POS!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay so the dual cpu 867mhz powermac my girlfriend has just stopped working today. I checked it out and sure enough one of the processors fried. Figuring this couldn't be normal I did some online research. Even the forums on Apple.com instantly tell you that this model had problems from the start. Fan noises, cpus burning out, motherboards dying. For a while Apple kept replacing them. Some people on the forums have replaced their motherboards 4 times! This part below is my fault, It went out of warranty by 4 days (yeah I overseas during the holidays) An Apple rep acknowledged that the MDDs were buggy and had plenty of problems. So now since it's out of warranty I have to pay $1grand to have the 867mhz (dual) processor card replaced! They even want to charge me $150 to replace the retardedly loud fan they admitted was a problem from the beginning.

So for $1150 I get 2 867mhz processors and a fan replacement... What the f*ck.

I tried to get around this by buying a gigadesigns processor upgrade card, which macsales.com told me would work great. Of course it works great, for every model except the MDD since apple designed them with a slightly lower bus speed (which also explains all the touchy ram problems these models have)

I feel like I've been shitted on. In 10 years I've purchased over $100,000 of Apple hardware (i know it's not a big deal) but it angers me. Apple always has given this attitude with stuff. They did the same thing with displays and other shit that just didn't work right. At my place of business we use a bunch of crappy ass Dells. But not once ever did Dell even try to hassle me about something that didn't work or a return... (I'm rambling now) but I'm just so frustrated....

Is there anything I can do? Am I assed? Is there anyway to appeal my case to Apple? Do they even care? The MDD powermac was a lemon I'm gathering from everybody I know who has one...

Thoughts suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    They are normally nice about the whole warranty thing so try the angle that it just ran out etc etc and you were going to rebuy it and still will.

That will probably work.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    In some cases they'll fix it within a month of it going out of warranty. In other cases, I've heard that they'll fix it if you buy AppleCare (even if you're normally past the time during which you can buy it). Ask about either of those. Otherwise - if the machine is unusable, try to salvage as many parts as possible (including the case!) and use the $1150 you WOULD have spent on repairs to get a replacement machine. $1150 will buy you a lot of PowerMac... maybe not a dual 867, but just about. You can probably get at least a single 1 GHz one for that much.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to call them again. I'm just feeling pretty low right now. That's alot of money for a machine that was taken care of so well. If you didn't know better you'd think the machine just came off the assembly line.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I think that they will fix it for you, but if they don't you could buy a dual 1.25 for $1099:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL.../1.0.7.1.0.5.3
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mx5mx5 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I think that they will fix it for you, but if they don't you could buy a dual 1.25 for $1099:

Are you sure that is a DUAL 1.25 G4?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    That is only a single 1.25GHz G4 (notice the dual G5 has 'DUAL' in the description). You can still get a brand new dual 1.25GHz G4 for $1,600 though.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I don't think that's a dual. They do have a 1.6 G5 for $1399 though.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    We'll Apple is going to "think" about letting me get it fixed past warranty. Grrr. I feel aweful for my girlfriend who finally made the choice to go Mac, spend $2,800 and got burned.