Quicksilver 733 Noise Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I had heard in a few threads awhile ago that some people found the Quicksilver G4's to be louder than previous G4 towers. I just sold a G4 400 and was considering buying a 733 G4 on clearance but I am sensitive to noise and I want to make sure its not much louder than the G4 400.

I found the G4 400 to be no louder than my Powermac 8100 and to me both are very quiet. I just don't want a tower than sounds like a rocket ship taking off! The Cube or iMac isn't an option, I want to stick to the towers. (I sold the G4 for financial reasons then found out I'm getting a decent refund from the IRS!) Yes, I'm a bonehead.......................................... ....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I don't know about the 733s but I just received my 933 yesterday and it is very quiet. I've owned PCs before this and they've all been very very loud. This is the most quiet tower I've ever heard. Good luck with you're purchase. I'm loving this one more and more.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    It's loud.

-DisgruntledQS733Owner
  • Reply 3 of 16
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    2 completely diametrically opposed answers! Oh well, hopefully more will give a response so I can make up my mind. I'm considering a 466 or 533 G4 also in addition to the 733..........................
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kevbokevbo Posts: 8member
    steve, I had a G4 733, and sold it due to noise (it really bugged me). I now have an iMac 700 combo, and I like it a lot better, plus I can play DVD's. If I were you I'd save for a G4 800, or get an iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I've got a 733 and the fan is much loader than any other Mac i've owned. One option is to put it under the desk - I haven't tried this as I usually have music blasting most days, which drowns the fan out...

What annoys me about most new Macs is the sound of the CD drive - It's like a rocket sometimes?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    My workplace purchased a Quicksilver 733 a couple of months ago, which started emmitting a low hissing noise from the bulit-in speaker. Apparently, this is a known problem with these models (much discussed in the Apple knowledge boards). Apple claims that a software update will be released to correct this, but many attribute the hiss to a hardware problem, specifically, the suspected quality of whatever amp/preamp Apple uses in that machine. A workaround is to plug external speakers into the audio out jack which bypasses the bulit-in speaker. Plugging in headphones, or just a plug by itself, will accomplish the same thing.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I keep my computer on the floor always. The G4 400 seemed very quiet to me. If the 733 is louder I have to assume the 800 will be just as loud. I've heard about the hissing noise out of the speaker (why doesn't Apple just get rid of the damn thing and use the space for another drive?), but I plan on plugging in speakers. I wonder if the 466 and 533 have the same loud fan problem or is it just the quicksilvers? I wonder why that would be............
  • Reply 8 of 16
    [quote] I've heard about the hissing noise out of the speaker (why doesn't Apple just get rid of the damn thing and use the space for another drive?) <hr></blockquote>

Haven't noticed any hiss from the front speaker - most noise comes from the rear fan - like most humans I guess ...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    kevbokevbo Posts: 8member
    My 733 was so loud, that even under the desk, it sounded like is was going to take off !!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Thats it then, no quicksilver for me. Back to ebay! Now, what about the 466 and 533's? Anyone own these and is there a loud fan problem?...............
  • Reply 11 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Thats it then, no quicksilver for me. Back to ebay! Now, what about the 466 and 533's? Anyone own these and is there a loud fan problem?...............</strong><hr></blockquote>

So you're gunna go for a slower computer because it makes less noise? Pretty dumb if you ask me...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    I have an 867 QS. The fan is audible but not extremely loud. I have had a some troubles with the fans causing a vibration. Pressing on the back or futsing with the internals seems to have solved this.

I haven't had any problem with the fan hissing.

If possible, go someplace and check one out firsthand.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Good idea, I'll check em out in person.

As for speed vs noise-if its noisy enough to bother me everytime i use it, than yes I will pick a slower computer and play in peace and quiet.......................................
  • Reply 14 of 16
    c5jc5j Posts: 25member
    Ok. It's noisy compared to an iMac (which is almost totally quiet) BUT the qs733 is very quiet compared to a normal PC.

qs733 owner.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    [quote] Ok. It's noisy compared to an iMac (which is almost totally quiet) BUT the qs733 is very quiet compared to a normal PC. <hr></blockquote>

Agree... Infact you just live with it... 733 is noisy but like I said , I have music playing and you don't notice it's BRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    I have a lab full of 867s at school and I cant even hear a lecture like 15ft away! It's both the hissing from the speakers, or the fans, which are annoying if you are trying to listen to something else for sure.

Pres