Dual Apple Studio Display Support

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a Power Mac G4 500 (Sawtooth model). I am using an Apple Studio Display. My brother just gave me his Apple Studio Display. Therefore, I am looking for a card that will let me use both displays. Am I right that I should go with the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro? Or should I go for the 9800?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I forgot to mention that one of the Apple Studio Displays 17" is the older model [blue and white (which I think is VGA), and of the second Apple Studio Displays 17" is one of the newer ones (graphite and white). Since there does not seem a way to hook both displays to one card, is it possible to use two video cards in the Power Mac G4 500?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    You could buy a new video card that supports dual monitors, or you could buy a second video card. Either way you'll have to get a new card, so you might as well one that supports dual monitors. It'll save you a PCI slot and probably speed things up some too. Make sure that whatever you get is compatible with your computer and that it supports the type of monitors that you have.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I would not envest in a 9700/9800 Radeon... to much money for a card your computer will not be able to use to its fullest.

A 9000pro would do just fine... It has support for two monitors and is much cheaper than the 9700/9800.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Today I ordered an ATI Radeon 7000 from MacConnection. I want to use my two monitors as one virtual desktop. In other words, I do not want just a mirror image of my main monitor. Would you happen to know if that is possible using the video cards [my Power Mac G4 500's current ATI Rage (Pro?) And the ATI Radeon 7000)?

Also, if I wanted to connect both VGA displays to the Radeon 7000, how do I go about it?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ginopiazza49

Today I ordered an ATI Radeon 7000 from MacConnection. I want to use my two monitors as one virtual desktop. In other words, I do not want just a mirror image of my main monitor. Would you happen to know if that is possible using the video cards [my Power Mac G4 500's current ATI Rage (Pro?) And the ATI Radeon 7000)?

Also, if I wanted to connect both VGA displays to the Radeon 7000, how do I go about it?

You would plug both of them into the Radeon 7000.