Can I share internet with PC using airport?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
May seem like a dumb question, but my girlfriend and I just got cable internet, and we want to share the connection. I currently have a PowerMac G4, but it is not with me at our home. My girlfriend uses a PC. Hopefully, I will be able to upgrade to a laptop when I get my tax check back. So my question is this: If I get a new powerbook, will I be able to use an Airport Base Station to get wireless internet for my laptop and wired internet to her PC? In other words, is the ABS a router capable of supporting wired and wireless? I know it has an ethernet port on it, but is that not for the cable connection?

Thanks for your feedback!

Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Well, to answer your question specifically, from the Tech Specs page of Apple's Airport:

10/100BASE-T Ethernet ports

The AirPort Extreme Base Station features a second Ethernet port that allows a single Internet connection to be shared with wired computers as well. By connecting a single computer directly to this port, or several Macs and PCs using a hub, users can place all of their computers behind the protection of the 128-bit AirPort Extreme firewall.

So, yes, you could

However, you could also buy any other Wireless router and do the same thing (and cheaper too!)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

[snip]

However, you could also buy any other Wireless router and do the same thing (and cheaper too!)

True...but than you wouldn't be getting Apple hardware, and that's just not cool at all.

MCQ is correct, I have a wireless router (Netgear) that has 4 ports on it, so I can wire up to 4 computers and run up to 250somethingish wireless.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks guys for the reply. Even though most of the routers you find at the local stores list Windows as a requirement, I would assume that they would also work with OS X as well, since it's so standards-based and groovy, right?

Joe
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Sure, the other routers on the market should be just fine

I've used my Powerbook with Airport Extreme on Linksys, D-Link, and Netgear wireless routers with no problems.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    get a linksys wrt54g

its cheaper & works well
  • Reply 6 of 6
    The main difference is with the Apple ABS, you configure it through a application (Airport Setup). With the PC alternatives, you use a web browser. I have a Linksys and run two PowerBooks and three PCs off of it. It works great but isn't as pretty as Apple's.

The advantage with the Airport BS is the modem and USB port you get...add an USB printer and your printing wirelessly.