learning useful tricks about Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I switched to OS X and the Mac after Panther was released. I bought the computer for the operating system. (and yes, I used OS/2 v3 and v4). Anyways, where do I go online to find some useful hints and tricks for Mac OS X? Everytime Brad posts something like 'universal spell checker for all text edit fields', it makes me mad that I am not aware of these things.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Try this write-up for maintenance tips:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...intenance.html
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Mac OS X Hints is a popular site. The tips range from simple to get-your-hands-dirty-with-the-command-line complex.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, there are so many good sites out there, it's hard to recommend just one. I'd second macosxhints.com, though. They're the first place I'll hit if I'm looking for something I know I can do but don't know how. Really, you should consider buying a book to get you upto speed. There's so much to learn...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    be curious. read help files, manuals, shortcut lists, FAQs. ask questions.

some OS X books are a waste of money if you know where to go online and what to look for.

discovering the name of a function you want to learn is sometimes half the battle.

any specific areas of interest? what counts as useful to you?

depends a bit if you're looking for the basics (help system or web),

or advanced terminal and UNIX stuff (man pages are good).

tons of helpful, free resources are available online if you ask the right questions.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Sometimes you can find unique troubleshooting info on Apple's support forums.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Someone on AI a few days ago posted a link to this site which compares OS X and Windows XP. (Think it was Brad). I have learnt a lot from reading the in-depth comparison. Especially the "Drag and Drop" section.