New Harman5.1 Speakers for the Mac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have any information on when Harman will be coming out with their new 5.1 speaker system for the iMacs?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 18
    I don't get it. You ask about Harman speakers, than post a link to JBL Creature 5.1 speakers? I'm confused. And no, I don't have any info, but it would be cool to see them soon. I love Harman products. And why just for the iMacs? Wouldn't it be for all Macs? Is there any possibility of seeing a digital (works with PMs optical audio out) speaker system from Harman?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I don't get it. You ask about Harman speakers, than post a link to JBL Creature 5.1 speakers? I'm confused. And no, I don't have any info, but it would be cool to see them soon. I love Harman products. And why just for the iMacs? Wouldn't it be for all Macs? Is there any possibility of seeing a digital (works with PMs optical audio out) speaker system from Harman?

JBL, Harman, and Infinity are all owned by the same company.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

http://www.directron.com/encounter51.html

Something that ugly better sound real good. ick, can't believe that's aimed at the mac market.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Something that ugly better sound real good. ick, can't believe that's aimed at the mac market.

i am inclined to agree... the creatures i bought or so nice and minimalist (though the led's under the satellite speakers could be brighter, but whatever... they sound f'n great)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    5.1 is available now, but not from Harmon. If you want it it's there. I prefer 7.1 to match my home stereo. Which also (7.1) is available if you want it, but not from harmon.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    U.

G.

L.

Y.

it ain't got no alibi

its ugly
  • Reply 8 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Ugly, but creature speakers have gotten somewhat of a following for having such great sound. Like rok said, you don't want to look at 'em, but they sound awesome.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    If you want 5.1, go with the sweet Logitech Z-680's.

Around $280 on the web.

Great sound and the system decodes Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Has a wireless remote as well.

Have them hooked up to my G5 via an optical connection.

• Reply 10 of 18
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

If you want 5.1, go with the sweet Logitech Z-680's.

Around $280 on the web.

Great sound and the system decodes Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Has a wireless remote as well.

Have them hooked up to my G5 via an optical connection.

I have an iMac, I need something that will work without any expansion cards.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    So how does 5.1 work with an iMac? I thought that 3.5mm jacks were only stereo?

Or does it plug into a USB port?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    There is no 5.1 for iMacs without an add on card. You can have 2x stereo or prologic decoding, which works from 2 channels, but no true 5.1.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

There is no 5.1 for iMacs without an add on card. You can have 2x stereo or prologic decoding, which works from 2 channels, but no true 5.1.

Unless you get one of those USB doo dads from m-audio. Sonica Theater It's like $99. I bought one of those Revolution 7.1's It was $129. Works very well for the most part.

I found tech support to be very responsive to issues and system updates.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Yes the M-Audio Sonica Theater works pretty well! I used it for my laptop, so I could have true 5.1 surround sound. But since I sold my laptop and am upgrading to a G5 PowerMac I'd be willing to sell my Sonica Theater (perfect condition with origional packaging) for $85 + shipping to anyone interested.

Check out the detail at this website.

M-Audio Sonica Theater 7.1 USB
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I have an old BW G3 with THX certified Klipsch ProMedias. Klipsch speakers have a reputation for being "youthful", ie loud. The G3 doesn't have surround out, so I double up on the fronts with a Y stereo adapter from Radio Shack. They sound great for computer speakers, but there's almost too powerful. I have to have the Mac volume turn near nil so I can use the volume adjustment in a reasonable manner. Anything else and an 1/8 turn on the knob will rattle the nuts off your neighbor's dog.

So, is the Mac 5.1 output encoding in Dolby Digital? Can you play DTS DVDs and still have 5.1? Call me crazy, but I think DTS runs circles around Dolby Digital. (Tryout LOTR special editions vs. theatrical release)

http://www.klipsch.com/
  • Reply 16 of 18
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Eh, the digital output uses PCM (pulse code modulation) of arbitrary resolution (depending on source), through whatever output you have (ie optical or coax). Depending on your DVD, the PCM data will be DD5.1 or DTS.

So you can do DTS or DD5.1 on a mac, if you have the surround hardware.

And remember, THX certification doesn't mean a thing.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

And remember, THX certification doesn't mean a thing.

Heh...

I have to disagree... Once those 3 letters get added to the side of any box the numbers located to the right of the $ tends to inflate all by themselves. Funny how 3 simple letters can do that...

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    THX is awesome. I use it as much as possible whenever I can. THX basically adds a rear surround channel that isn't present in regular DTS. But there is more to THX, and THX certification than just that.

As for speakers. Just because a set of speakers isn't THX certified does not mean it does meat the THX certification criteria. It may not have been submitted. But there are many speakers that you may believe to be high caliber / or diamond status stereo components of high quality that you can not clearly hear the rear surround channel in THX, or differentiate between different formats such as DTS, and THX. It gets worse. Some of these speakers you cant even hear much of a diference between THX, and plain dolby stereo. It's that most speakers combined with the imperfections of the human ear tend to blend the sounds that are the makeup of what is trying to be achieved from the THX format. Which is the reason for THX certification. Serous quality speakers can separate sound so crisply, and accurately, without over resonance they actually enhance the listening experience. So don't go believe it means nothing when it truly does matter especially if your buying a THX ultra certified receiver because that is what your buying it to hear. In that situation the best way to tell is to Demo, and click between, and find a very clear set of certified THX speakers, and then click through all the non certified speakers you liked in (at least) THX 5.1 format through a certified THX Receiver, and see if you hear the rear surround channel for starters. I'd keep going, but I'm getting sleepy.

Wow. What was the topic again?