26th March 2004 - new G5's?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Australia trade in offer ending 26 March 2004 may give some clues as to G5 upgrade in Australia??

...long wait....

[URL=http://www.apple.com.au/promo/tradeupg5/]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    i think this was discussed in the 'countdown to g5's thread'.... i sure hope they come sooner than that
  • Reply 2 of 115
    They're a little backwards down there sometimes. No offense.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

They're a little backwards down there sometimes. No offense.

We are at the 'arse' (excuse the Australian colloquialism) end of the world and are a dumping ground for last seasons technology.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    An odd thing in Russia. One of Apple dealers is offering [email protected] for $1729 ($70 less than at store.apple.com), while duals 1.8 and 2GHz have the same price as before (+$500 and +$850 compared to store.apple.com). Really weird. Never seen Macs in Russia cheaper than in US.

[Edit]: Same thing with another dealer. This may be a sure sign of Apple's activity on the hardware front.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    sure would be nice, the 26th of March is my birthday
  • Reply 6 of 115
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    March will be a logical date for updating the powermac G5 :

- Apple will have enough G5 90nm stockpilled

- It will be 6 months after the initial release of the powermac G5

Apple do not have to announce this update too early at the difference of the G5 who was necessary to prevent people of switching to the PC. Now, if Apple wants to gain some credibility, he should be able to deliver in time the rev B powermac.

Anyway i expect more in late march, just than new powermacs. I expect a major update of the I mac line wiht G5 inside. My wife is waiting this product before updating the old G3 400 of her office.
  • Reply 7 of 115
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

... I expect a major update of the I mac line wiht G5 inside. My wife is waiting this product before updating the old G3 400 of her office.

I think a G5 iMac is what I want too; but they're not blowing out iMacs right now like I'd expect them to.

By contrast, look what they're doing with the 1.8 singles - they're being discounted everywhere. That's a pretty good sign that PowerMac updates are coming.

When we see the G4 17" superdrive for $1199 then we'll know that something big is coming!
  • Reply 8 of 115
    slssls Posts: 51member
    I hope March 26th is the "worst case". If Apple has piled up enough 90nm 2.6GHz G5 Power Macs and managed to get rid of the 1.6 and 1.8GHz models by then, they can end the trade-in offer as the terms states.

Reading debates on (apple/mac-rumor)forums tells me that a lot of people are waiting for faster G5s before buying their first G5. It's not good business for Apple to wait "forever" with the speedbumps, at least not if 2-300 potential buyers read these forums and each then tell 1 or 2 other potential buyers etc, and then wait for another couple of months before buying. However, this is probably something Apple is aware of...

At least I'm optimistic, because more GHz (I'm fooled by the MHz-myth.. ) will make the PC-fanatics open their eyes for Mac. And I won't have to spend hours convincing PC-dudes that the G5 is the worlds fastest PC... (A Mac is a Mac, no-matter what)
  • Reply 9 of 115
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    How does this match up with Steve's announcement that they will be at 3Ghz in 1 year? A little short on the time I think...................
  • Reply 10 of 115
    kcgilkcgil Posts: 23member
    I do not think a March 26th release of updated PowerMacs would jive with the 3Ghz in one year announcement at last years developer conference. That would mean another significant upgrade in 3 months.

It would make more sense for an iMac upgrade it is older as a form factor and will probably move into the lower 1.6 and 1.8 MHz speed.
  • Reply 11 of 115
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Here is what I can see happening:

It is a known fact that Steve wants to not only beat Intel at performance, but beat them at their own Mhz game. At WWDC we will see dual 3.2Ghz G5 PowerMacs. This will close the gap even more because Intel will only be at 3.4Ghz. Then, at the end of WWDC, Steve will show off the 3.5Ghz G5. This will be put down Intel for a while. During the fall, sometime around November or maybe MWSF, Steve will debut the G6 running at 4Ghz with dual cores.

I know this sounds far fetched, but this is the new IBM we are talking about. Never thought I would say that before...
  • Reply 12 of 115
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Here is what I can see happening:

I know this sounds far fetched, but this is the new IBM we are talking about. Never thought I would say that before...

i would love if IBM made far fetched releases reality!
  • Reply 13 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

How does this match up with Steve's announcement that they will be at 3Ghz in 1 year? A little short on the time I think...................

I hate to say it, but as time passes on without new Power Macs, the Croquer scenario discussed in the other thread (WWDC introduction of new Power Macs), gets more and more close to reality.
  • Reply 14 of 115
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

It is a known fact that Steve wants to not only beat Intel at performance, but beat them at their own Mhz game. At WWDC we will see dual 3.2Ghz G5 PowerMacs. This will close the gap even more because Intel will only be at 3.4Ghz. Then, at the end of WWDC, Steve will show off the 3.5Ghz G5. This will be put down Intel for a while. During the fall, sometime around November or maybe MWSF, Steve will debut the G6 running at 4Ghz with dual cores.

This is utterly and completely wishful thinking. There is no way IBM is able to double the clockrate of its CPUs within 12 month.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcgil

I do not think a March 26th release of updated PowerMacs would jive with the 3Ghz in one year announcement at last years developer conference. That would mean another significant upgrade in 3 months.

Not quite so. August 26th will still be 5 months ahead and still be this summer. At least, theoretically.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

This is utterly and completely wishful thinking. There is no way IBM is able to double the clockrate of its CPUs within 12 month.

Double? It is 50%. They had 970's running in the lab at 3GHz before they released the 2GHz model. The real issue surrounds production yields, which in turn govern pricing. So I suspect Apple and IBM are being very conservative in order to achieve the best yields. Going to 90NM is another way to reduce the costs of the 970, significantly reducing IBM's costs. Another technique IBM could use to improve their yields going forward incorporates what IBM calls eFuse. Basically, provide redundancy for components most likely to fail during manufacturing.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

Double? It is 50%.

Huh? Going from 2Ghz in fall 03 to 4Ghz in fall 04 is a jump of 100% exactly. If Apple had 3Ghz pieces running in the lab when they released the 2Ghz duals (do you actually know they had? you don't.), they'll have 5 or 6Ghz running in the lab once they release the 4Ghz machines.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

tell that to Moore and the entire history of cpus!
  • Reply 19 of 115
    Well... In labs you tend to have products running that you will not release for up to 2 years. This is true on just about anything manufactured. You dont make them the month before you release them

Smircle - You say that a year is too little time to go from 2Ghz to 4Ghz. While this may be true, I never said they would release them in 2004:

Quote:

This will be put down Intel for a while. During the fall, sometime around November or maybe MWSF, Steve will debut the G6 running at 4Ghz with dual cores.

So see? They could debut them in the beginning of 2005 and not actually release them for another 6-8 weeks to ramp up production. You know everyone and their dog will want them... I might wait and not buy a new computer just to see what how fast they will get! This is not Motorola after all!
  • Reply 20 of 115
    Quote:

Nope, he can announce the machines at WWDC and still be on time. He never said anything about shipping 1 year after. But i expect Steve to announce them to be available immediately, and with a august announcement date.

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

By contrast, look what they're doing with the 1.8 singles - they're being discounted everywhere. That's a pretty good sign that PowerMac updates are coming.

Apple discontinued the single models months ago, sooo...