My own internet connection (how to) ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is something Ive always wondered about, if I wanted to connect to the internet with out an ISP, how would I go about doing it. Or to put it another way if suddenly I wished to become an ISP how would I go about doing it.

Is it as simple as just laying cable to someone else who is connected to the internet backbone (not quite sure what exactly that is) and negotiating access ? Are you entitled or have the right to demand access to the internet if you provide the hardware and labour involved with connecting to the internet this way ?

Is there any entity that doesnt pay for internet ? (as a result of being part of the internet.)

Where does the buck stop ?

I understand a bit about networking and whatnot but this one question always gets pushed to the back of my mind, the whole pay for email thing resurfaced these evil thoughts...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    You have just answered all your own questions.

Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

If I wanted to connect to the internet with out an ISP, how would I go about doing it. Or to put it another way if suddenly I wished to become an ISP...

ISPs are, by definition, those who provide the services to masses. The only way to get something without going to a shop is making it yourself.

Quote:

Is it as simple as just laying cable to someone else who is connected to the internet backbone (not quite sure what exactly that is) and negotiating access?

Basically, yes. In most, if not all, countries you have to buy the appropriate certificates and licenses first.

For example, there are 2 (maybe 3) first-hand internet providers in Russia. Other thousands of self-proclaimed ISPs are just sub-providers which resell terabytes of traffic by gigabytes to smaller ISPs, which, in turn, resell their traffic to end users. All of these ISPs are naturally connected to the first-hand ones. All of them pay enormous taxes and license fees in addition to traffic/wire lease costs.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Okay, I get that, but who are these "first hand" internet providers and why do they have access ?

Edit to above question,

Okay, they are first hand providers because they have a physical connection to the internet backbone and the appropriate licenses to use it.. I think.

So what is the internet backbone ? is it just a collection of University and old Darpa servers that just happened to be there when it all started ?

Are they the ones getting the cash for all this (from all over the world) and if I run a line to one of these guys (with appropriate certification and licences) will they grant me a cut of this "internet backbone" ?