Stuff from Macintosh SE to new PowerBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My stepdad still uses his Macintosh SE everyday, now he is finally gonna buy a new machine, but first I would need to know how to get all his documents to my 15" AlBook. So how do I do it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    man, i'm not positive if you can use a modem on the SE, but that would be your best bet. e-mail the files you need to yourself. anything else is going to be tough. those are something like 10 generations apart.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It may take a few steps. First, networking of any kind is almost certainly out of the question. You'll have to find some kind of removable media. If you can get a SCSI Zip drive for the SE and a USB Zip drive for the PowerBook, you can copy everything over that way.

You could also try floppies, though the SE probably uses an 800kb floppy drive (unless it says "Superdrive" or "FDHD" on it), and USB floppy drives can't read 800k diskettes. So to go from floppies to the PowerBook you'll have to get a slightly older Mac that has a floppy drive internally and can read 800k diskettes. Transfer the files to the middle-aged Mac, and then get them to the PowerBook either through a network or internet connection, or by putting them on a 1.4 MB diskette that a USB floppy drive can read.

However, even if you do manage to get the files from the SE to the PowerBook, how will you even read them? If they are text files or images or something, then it shouldn't be a problem. But I don't know how you'll be able to use some of the files if they were created by such ancient applications.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

those are something like 10 generations apart.

Hehe, I was thinking about this. The SE uses an 8 MHz 68000, which is a 16-bit CISC processor. Since then, Apple has moved from:

1) CISC to RISC

2) 8 MHz to 2 GHz (250x the MHz!)

3) 16-bit to 64-bit

Pretty amazing jump.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rewesrewes Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

However, even if you do manage to get the files from the SE to the PowerBook, how will you even read them? If they are text files or images or something, then it shouldn't be a problem. But I don't know how you'll be able to use some of the files if they were created by such ancient applications.

They are text files, I think.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Sounds like one of the Terry Pratchett books... Pyramids. All of the dead people came back to life, and conversations included a string of people all passing the message along in a language the next person would understand.

Then you get people being helpful, and it all goes wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I have an SE/HD set up at home right behind where my chair is that I sit at when I'm using my main setup, a TiBook 500. I've had no issue transferring files between the two. The SE takes 1.4 floppies. It also has a modem port. Not that the SE I have and the one you have are the same model, or what not, so I, of course, can't be 100% sure you'll have my same luck. I use the SE mostly for old games. Like Cairo ShootOut, I love that game! Anyway, best of luck.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    EDIT: never mind
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I used to have an SE FDHD with an AAUI SE PDS card.

Hey, that's a lot of acronyms!

Anyway, if you could find one of those cards, and an AAUI to RJ-45 adapter, you'd be in business.

They also do make PhoneNet to Ethernet adapters, if you already have a PhoneNet adapter.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you just buy or borrow another Mac with a floppy drive to either put them onto floppies that you could read with a USB floppy drive, or one that has built-in RJ-45.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'll do you one better.

A //gs with 5.25" floppies. :}
  • Reply 10 of 15
    How about a TI/94-A with cartridges and the kick-ass voice synthesizer? I swear it must still be out in my parents' shed somewhere.

You see what we did where we stopped trying to help and just started reminiscing about old computers?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    uh, won't an ethernet-to-localtalk adapter do the job?

like this:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...&store=macmall
  • Reply 12 of 15
    rewesrewes Posts: 40member
    I´ll have to ask which model it is, I have never used it myself.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

Sounds like one of the Terry Pratchett books... Pyramids. All of the dead people came back to life, and conversations included a string of people all passing the message along in a language the next person would understand.

Then you get people being helpful, and it all goes wrong.

Oh man, I don't mean to be off topic.. but I had to respond to this. Terry Pratchett is great. I just started reading Good Omens. It's the first Pratchett book I've read in about 9 years. I heard Terry Gilliam was working on the movie.

Okay, back on topic....... yeah, that's an old computer. Good luck.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

1. Floppies.

Get a cheap USB floppy drive for your PowerBook.

2. Modem.

No additional equipment needed. Use FTP to transfer all of the files to a compatible server online. You could even do email.

3. SCSI

You'll need a SCSI adapter for your PowerBook (more expensive than a floppy drive). There are USB->SCSI, FireWire->SCSI and PCMCIA->SCSI cards available. Since non-SCSI PowerBooks don't have SCSI disc mode, even with an adapter, you'll need a SCSI hard drive case as well, then take your SE hard drive and stick it in the SCSI case.

Looks like modem is easiest, especially if you have a site you can FTP to. Second would be floppy.

1. If it's a plain 'ol SE, it can only use 800k disks, which don't work in USB floppy drives.

2. The additional equipment in this case would be the modem. I wouldn't assume an SE user has a modem.

3. That sounds like the most entertaining course of action, outside of finding an Ethernet SE PDS card. You'd have to make sure you can find new SCSI equipment that works with the ancient SCSI drive in the old Mac.