Opinion of the Dual 1.8

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi -

in the market for buying a G5, and i wanted to get peoples opinions of the Dual 1.8. The reason i pick the 1.8 over the 2.0 is so i can toss in the radeon 9800 pro and some extra RAM without going over budget. But if Apple may be releasing updates soon, i might hold off.

anyway - just wanted to know what people thought of the Dual 1.8. Also - anyone have any idea whether the 9800 pro is any better than the 9600 pro for video editing - i dont need it for gaming, and if the major improvements are gaming based, i may as well save the 300 dollars and put in some more ram or disk space...

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    The 1.8 is probably the best deal in the lineup currently. But, if you can, I would suggest waiting. Very much so. The difference from the 1.6 to the 1.8 is drastic: double the support for ram, pci-x slots, two processors etc. For the 1.8 to 2.0 you get a bus increase and processor increase.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    On the Apple Store website, under "special deals", they sell factory refurbished macs with warranty. The dual 2 GHz G5 (when available) is selling for $2400. Something to consider.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    wait until the next rev of G5s is my opinion, that's what i'm going to do
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I broke down and bought one. Tracking says its in town today and on its way, yea, verily, e'en as I type. I am giddy with excitement!

REFURBISHED APPLE PRODUCTS:

Power Mac G5 DUAL 1.8GHz 512MB/160GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K

SubTotal: $1,999.00

Estimated Tax: $169.92

Shipping Charge: $0.00

Estimated Total: $2,168.92

Review of 9800 vs 9600:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/Dual_g...800_tests.html
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Congrats on a super system, that mother****er will own!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Mac Connection had the single 1.8 advertised for $1700 with an extra 1 GB of RAM or something like that "while supplies last."
  • Reply 7 of 30
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    Just took the plunge on a refurb dual 1.8 this morning. I was worried because they disappeared off the site this weekend, which is when I was planning to buy. Very relieved to see they were listed on the site this morning. I was going to wait for the new revision, but I couldn't pass up the price. I don't think apple will go all dual for the G5 lineup, so I decided to buy a dual 1.8 for $2000, rather than get a single processor 2.0 for $1799. I can't believe what an incredible value this is.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    deadeye, disco, et al.,

I had the same inspiration about buying the refurbed dual 1.8. My only worry was that Apple will unleash a DUAL 2.0 on the low end in a month. But seeing as how I've being crapping around with a 266 mhz Wallstreet for five years, it's all I can do not to dance around the room now that my new baby has been shipped.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I think buying a Refurb Dual 1.8 is a wise choice. My only concern is that my estimated ship date is "on or before 03/23/2004." I'm hoping it doesn't take quite that long in reality, considering their initial estimated ship date was withinn 30 business days. \

On a more speculative note, it's curious that the date listed is March 23rd. Aren't all of the rebate offers ending in the 24th?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    $2000 US for the dual 1.8 refurb?

Wow...that's a good price.....wish refurbished product were available in Canada. That would be like $800 CDN of saving (compare to a brand new)
  • Reply 11 of 30
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Mac Connection had the single 1.8 advertised for $1700 with an extra 1 GB of RAM or something like that "while supplies last."

They sure need to add in such a great complement, who would otherwise buy the single 1.8 ? Doesn't seem all that attractive to me considering dual 1.8's were introduced at almost the same price point.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    My Mac tech friends tell me that there are very few problems with the dual 1.8s. Dual 2 Gig ones apparently are not that problem free.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I guess my fears about the ship date were unfounded. I woke up this morning and received an email indicating that my unit has shipped! So much for a ship date of 30 business days, it should be here by thursday!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Dual 1.8 runnin' like a champ here! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! Day #3. I have issues with going to sleep and going to work now, however, Apple Support could offer no fix for this!

Received in less than 40 hrs from time of online order!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    DeadEye, did your refurb happen to ship with iLife 04' included? An was Panther preinstalled, or did it just ship on a disc? I'm curious to know, as I ordered the exact same machine as you.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

DeadEye, did your refurb happen to ship with iLife 04' included? An was Panther preinstalled, or did it just ship on a disc? I'm curious to know, as I ordered the exact same machine as you.

iLife discs included and Panther installed (Panther also on DVD disc). These machines will not boot to any OS 'lower' than Panther (i.e. 10.2, 10.1, 9.x...). However, included on the disc is 'classic' install.

Also, instead of a 160 GB HDD as listed, I got a 250 GB Maxtor (Maxtor 6Y250M0)! Sweet little bonus! I dunno how often this happens..
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Sweet! Sounds like you received a BTO machine that they didn't bother taking the drive out of. Just an added bonus I guess. I'm not expecting to be quite so lucky.

Thanks for confirming Panther and iLife for me. Now it's just a matter of waiting until Friday for the FedEx truck...
  • Reply 18 of 30
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deadeye

iLife discs included and Panther installed (Panther also on DVD disc). These machines will not boot to any OS 'lower' than Panther (i.e. 10.2, 10.1, 9.x...). However, included on the disc is 'classic' install.

Also, instead of a 160 GB HDD as listed, I got a 250 GB Maxtor (Maxtor 6Y250M0)! Sweet little bonus! I dunno how often this happens..

CHEATER!

What a good snarf. Congrats. I'm hoping for one of these puppies soonest.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Well, my G5 has arrived. Everything seems to be in order, except I didn't get an Airport antenna or the iLife discs.

Other than that, it's amazing! I just cannot believe how fast this machine screams. Oh, one other thing. It did arrive in the full color graphics box, not a generic brown one. The one difference is that there's a big white sticker on it that says "Reconditioned Product."
  • Reply 20 of 30
    To all those who have received their refurbed 1.8's: Damn you! Stupid FedEx delivered my monitor Tuesday (though tracking said monitor and computer were both there) then I waited Wednesday and Thursday to no avail for my computer to show up. I call Thursday and they call me back today.

"We seemed to have misplaced it."

"You what!?!?"

"If it doesn't come by the end of Saturday, call us back Monday."

"You can be assured I'll be calling Saturday morning, noon and night. If you guys don't answer I'll be leaving 20 minute messages each time, probably read from my kids Arthur books."

"We apologize for the inconvenience."

"Whatever."