emac question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello

i was just wondering.

can a emac boot from os 9?

and do you think some day you could upgrade your g4 emac into a g5 pemac but just changeing the processor like on a intel board?

id be glad to get answers

thanks tommy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

Hello

i was just wondering.

can a emac boot from os 9?

and do you think some day you could upgrade your g4 emac into a g5 pemac but just changeing the processor like on a intel board?

id be glad to get answers

thanks tommy.

the new ones can't, you can find an old one that could probably do it. Every once in awhile a place will do an upgrade for you, and put in say a g5 or something, however I highly reccommend against it as it won't run any faster than a g4 on that bus.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

the new ones can't, you can find an old one that could probably do it. Every once in awhile a place will do an upgrade for you, and put in say a g5 or something, however I highly reccommend against it as it won't run any faster than a g4 on that bus.

actuly i realy want a new one i have the money and i need it with a ligal version of panther and ilife 04 ( my dad needs garageband ) about the upgrade what do you mean a place will do an upgrade for you? that means paid upgrade or free upgrade ... im sorry its just that im going to order an emac as soon as they arive to my country ...
  • Reply 3 of 33
    oh yeah any body mind giveing a guide on how to add RAM on emac? and why doesnt the macs come with ddr insted of sdram?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    as far as i know you can. i have an emac, and i jsut checked the system prefs, and starting in os 9 is an option. i hope this answers your question.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

as far as i know you can. i have an emac, and i jsut checked the system prefs, and starting in os 9 is an option. i hope this answers your question.

ooo thnx that helps alot.. does the emac come with os 9 cds or i have to buy it lol...

any way got any answer to my other question about the upgrade?

thnx agin. tommy
  • Reply 6 of 33
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, we're in real need of some appropriate threads in Current Hardware, and this one really should be there...

Moving now.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

ooo thnx that helps alot.. does the emac come with os 9 cds or i have to buy it lol...

any way got any answer to my other question about the upgrade?

thnx agin. tommy

it comes with os 9, in case you were serious.

also, with the ram, it all depends what you wanna do with the emac. i do lots of video and graphics stuff, and i have 512MB. it gets the job done, but it's slow at times. if you dont do lots of video, 512 is fine.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    ok my windows hates bro.

peace out.. laterz.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it comes with os 9, in case you were serious.

also, with the ram, it all depends what you wanna do with the emac. i do lots of video and graphics stuff, and i have 512MB. it gets the job done, but it's slow at times. if you dont do lots of video, 512 is fine.

i work with photoshop and stuff...

and do you know why cant i add ddr rams?

got the guide for adding memmory? this is my secend mac.. and i dun realy have lotsaaaaaaaaa exp like you guys.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Very unlikely.

The G5 needs a big fast bus and the machines with a G4 in them don't have big fast buses. You'd basically have to get the whole motherboard replaced.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

ok my windows hates bro.

peace out.. laterz.

i couldn't agree more!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    ugh my gosh...
  • Reply 13 of 33
    why not buy a refurb of something if ddr and processor speeds are major concerns? wait for Rev B g5s, then grab a refurb Rev. A dual 1.8 or 1.6.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    FYI, the SDRAM is there because OS 9 only understands SDRAM. No Apple product with DDR RAM can boot OS 9.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

FYI, the SDRAM is there because OS 9 only understands SDRAM. No Apple product with DDR RAM can boot OS 9.

fix me if im wrong but does apple have any ddr products?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

fix me if im wrong but does apple have any ddr products?

The iBook, the PowerBook, the iMac, the PowerMac and the Xserve.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't want you to go out and buy a new eMac that you THINK can boot OS 9 and actually can't. So here is a CORRECT and COMPLETE explanation of which Macs have DDR, and which eMacs can boot into OS 9:

OS 9 boot eMacs include any model that was sold before the latest price drop sometime last fall. The one exception to this rule is the "old model" 1 GHz Superdrive eMac, which can only boot OS X. If you buy a new eMac today, it will be OS X only. However, OS 9 is included on all Macs - if you can't boot from it, you can at least use Classic mode. No need to buy it.

There are a few Macs that can boot into OS 9 and have DDR. They are the original Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac G4s, released in August of 2002. They use DDR, and they can boot into OS 9. That's the only model, though. The first models of PowerBook, iBook, and iMac to take DDR were all OS X only.

DDR does not make a big difference with G4s, because the G4's memory bus can only use memory half the time anyway. However, DDR does help with anything that doesn't go through the processor - most I/O does not go through the processor so it will benefit. But I don't think there's enough of a difference to be a major sticking point, really.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I don't want you to go out and buy a new eMac that you THINK can boot OS 9 and actually can't. So here is a CORRECT and COMPLETE explanation of which Macs have DDR, and which eMacs can boot into OS 9:

OS 9 boot eMacs include any model that was sold before the latest price drop sometime last fall. The one exception to this rule is the "old model" 1 GHz Superdrive eMac, which can only boot OS X. If you buy a new eMac today, it will be OS X only. However, OS 9 is included on all Macs - if you can't boot from it, you can at least use Classic mode. No need to buy it.

There are a few Macs that can boot into OS 9 and have DDR. They are the original Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac G4s, released in August of 2002. They use DDR, and they can boot into OS 9. That's the only model, though. The first models of PowerBook, iBook, and iMac to take DDR were all OS X only.

DDR does not make a big difference with G4s, because the G4's memory bus can only use memory half the time anyway. However, DDR does help with anything that doesn't go through the processor - most I/O does not go through the processor so it will benefit. But I don't think there's enough of a difference to be a major sticking point, really.

means theres no way possible booting from os 9 on a new emac?

why is that any way if i may ask??

thnx tommy
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Using classic is just fine, why do you need a bootable version of OS 9
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

means theres no way possible booting from os 9 on a new emac?

why is that any way if i may ask??

thnx tommy

Because OS 9 is dead...