Login Screen Menu Extra

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Seeing as we have a menu extra developer on these boards now....

I was wondering if anybody knows of, or how to make, a menu extra that can bring up the Fast User Switching login window. I'm the only user on my machine, but I use FUS for screen-locking purposes, and I find having my entire name in the menu bar takes up quite a bit of unnecessary space up there. So if there is some way (preferably a menu extra, but a script that lives in the dock would be fine too) that does the same thing as the 'Login Window' item at the bottom of the Fast User menu that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    why don't you just require a password to unlock from screen saver or sleep ?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I thought there was already a lock screen menu extra...it looks like a lock. I'm not sure where to find though. Possibily it's in the screen saver preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I thought there was already a lock screen menu extra...it looks like a lock. I'm not sure where to find though. Possibily it's in the screen saver preferences.

It's actually (somewhat unintuitively) the Keychain Access menu extra. Open keychain access and under the "view" menu, choose show status in menu. I guess it makes some sense but it's not easy to find.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

why don't you just require a password to unlock from screen saver or sleep ?

Because I run SETI@Home, and a screen saver eats CPU.

Clarification: that's the command-line version of S@H, not the screen saver.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    A screensaver eats CPU? You're kidding, right? Apple ships a very boring, very simple, low CPU screensaver so you can make sure you're dedicating all you can to finding those pesky aliens.

Come on man, it's a solution. You're turning it down over SETI@home. Wow....
  • Reply 6 of 13
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Well, that's just my reason for wanting such a menu extra. I would imagine that other people would find it useful for other reasons.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It's actually (somewhat unintuitively) the Keychain Access menu extra. Open keychain access and under the "view" menu, choose show status in menu. I guess it makes some sense but it's not easy to find.

that's cool, i didn't know that
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

Seeing as we have a menu extra developer on these boards now....

I was wondering if anybody knows of, or how to make, a menu extra that can bring up the Fast User Switching login window. I'm the only user on my machine, but I use FUS for screen-locking purposes, and I find having my entire name in the menu bar takes up quite a bit of unnecessary space up there. So if there is some way (preferably a menu extra, but a script that lives in the dock would be fine too) that does the same thing as the 'Login Window' item at the bottom of the Fast User menu that'd be awesome. Thanks.

i assume you mean me, lol

anyway i just made made a simple menu extra that does that(i think)

i used my other menuExtras source and deleted most stuff, and adding a few lines, took me maybe 15 min.. it even uses the same icon as my other menu extra(temporary), finding an icon for it would take me time i dont have right now..

just go into Contents/Resources/ of this menuextra and change the icon 'icon.tiff' to something suitable.(22x22 pixels)

oh well it works, but its a bit rough..

http://w1.605.telia.com/~u60527006/l...Extra.menu.zip

(again requires menucracker or menu extra enabler)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Wow! That is fantastic! Thank you so much. I can now see all my menu extras with XCode open. You rock
  • Reply 10 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

I was wondering if anybody knows of, or how to make, a menu extra that can bring up the Fast User Switching login window.

First of all, I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you want.

Open System Preferences, go to Accounts, click Login Options at the bottom of the list of users, click Enable fast user switching. You now have a FUS menu extra which has Login Window... as its last menu item. It logs you out without quitting any apps and brings the login window on screen.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

First of all, I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you want.

Open System Preferences, go to Accounts, click Login Options at the bottom of the list of users, click Enable fast user switching. You now have a FUS menu extra which has Login Window... as its last menu item. It logs you out without quitting any apps and brings the login window on screen.

Ahh...cool, I knew about the FUS username menu of course but I never tried CMD-dragging it. I like it better to the left of my usual menu extras than the default far right.

But I think he was asking for something sans username.

Be nice to have the accounts silhouette as the icon.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Look here:

http://www.liquidnexus.com/

in software, it is called switchit

it's basically the apple fast user switcher menu with an icon instead of the long name.

So it surely fills your needs!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bouba

Look here:

http://www.liquidnexus.com/

in software, it is called switchit

it's basically the apple fast user switcher menu with an icon instead of the long name.

So it surely fills your needs!

Yup, that's what I was looking for. Thanks.