FTP Server fro mac server X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey guys!

Does anyone know of a good , cheap and easy to use FTP server for mac server X?

I know that it has built in ftp but it is near impossible to set up so that our clients can log in their own folder/s.

Cheers

J-e-O

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    ProFTP is a good one. I think it's free too.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Isn't ProFTP al terminal based app? We need some thing that's got GUI so that everyone can use it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er.

The *server* is command line based.

The *client* can be whatever the heck you want, GUI, terminal, doesn't matter. FTP is FTP is FTP is FTP.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Er.

The *server* is command line based.

The *client* can be whatever the heck you want, GUI, terminal, doesn't matter. FTP is FTP is FTP is FTP.

What he said.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon-e-orange

I know that it has built in ftp but it is near impossible to set up so that our clients can log in their own folder/s.

it was ridiculously easy for me. i turned it on. i logged in. bam! there i was in my home directory, ftp'ing like it was just back in style. what kind of problems did you have? maybe i (or others) can help.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Sorry guy i don't think that you are getting what I am after.

We have a folder called clients - which has (say) 30- 40 further folders each named after the client. We need client A to log in to their folder and download/upload files. Without seeing any work for Client B etc.

Currently we are using Crush FTP to do this. But (maybe because its Java based i don't know) it can be a bit flakey! So we want something a bit more robust.

We need something that is GUI Based as not everyone in the office is into or wants to use the CLI. This is our office file server as well - so we don't want someone deleting items we need by accident.

I personally use either the CL or transmit as my FTP CLIENT.

I have also set up the built in ftp SERVER in my mac at home so I can drop work off there. But you need a user account on the mac to do so - thus is no good.