I want broadband internet! stupid question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok really stupid question here im a convert with a mac so dont blame me im a student.. ok im thinking about getting broad band where do i plug it into my powerbook g4 ot do i need another modem????????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Broadband Modem > Ethernet or USB
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ok so your saying there is one already on this thing??? i thought it was a 56 k modem its taking me longer than i expected to get use to it
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    No your Broadband provider will give you a Broadband modem and you hook it up to either a USB port or Ethernet (both on your Mac).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thanks mate that sorts that one out! thanks again
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    also of note, if you're computer was made recently (i dont even know how long ago back, more than a few years), it should have an ethernet port. it looks like a phone jack, but bigger. your modem may have both usb and ethernet wires, but the ethernet will almost certainly be significantly faster than usb.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would use ethernet. However if you want to share the connection with another computer you could try USB. My modem also has both connections but I never used usb.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

No your Broadband provider will give you a Broadband modem and you hook it up to either a USB port or Ethernet (both on your Mac).

If the ISP tell you they're gong to send you a USB modem, ask about an Ethernet modem. Demand an Ethernet modem. I've read too many horror stories about USB modems in the past.

When I got broadband back home, I demanded an Ethernet modem even though the idiot tech guys said Macs had to use USB modems. They're full of crap. I was very happy to get the cheaper and better Ethernet modem -- fewer system resources used, no installation of ridiculous KEXTs, no using up my last USB port.