US prices are so Cheap

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i was checking out the prices in the US and their like half price for any Mac product. So im going to NY next month from the UK and going to buy an ipod. you americans have got it so good!! you just havent got a clue

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Yeah the conversion rates are off the scale for buying hardware in Europe. I hope it will get better though, when new hardware is introduced...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Warranty.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Don't forget the US prices are shown as before tax (VAT), so if you're going to NYC you'll need to add 8 - 10% to the price.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

you'll need to add

Or you could smuggle it illegally back to your country without paying the VAT and be carted away as a criminal of the state.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    so heres what i did:

bought an ipod on amazon, for like $30 off, got it shipped to my parents house in alabama (free shipping). then they bring it to me when they come to australia. as a gift. so. i save about $180 on the australian price.

take advantage of the weak US dollar while we can!!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    yeah sounds like a good plan, ill do that ill call my uncle in philli
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I recently bought an iBook through my brother who lives in Texas. He then brought it to me in Finland when he came to visit. The machine cost 1350 euros in the US. If I'd bought it here, I would have had to pay 1750 euros for it. I saved 400 euros.

Ok, my warranty is probably void because of this, but still I feel like I made a good choice. Here's hoping my iBook doesn't blow up anytime soon though... \
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heavymetal

take advantage of the weak US dollar while we can!!

Unfortunately you may have another 4-8 years of a weak US dollar
  • Reply 9 of 10
    doesn't the first year of AppleCare cover items like PowerBooks internationally? I thought I read you can get repairs if you're abroad...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    yeh, that was the first thing i checked out, the warranty thing. i have a powerbook i bought in australia, but im moving to new zealand this week, so i made sure that it was covered. portable devices, ie laptops and ipods, are covered internationally.