Stability--Jaguar vs Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You know, I crashed about every few months running Jaguar. With Panther, I get system freezes on almost a daily basis. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Not at all. I have never had a system freeze or crash unless I really deserved it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    it depends. with jaguar, i would get "app unexpectedly quit" messages on a semi-frequent basis. in panther, i get fewer small crashes, but every once in a while, i'll get a doozy where aqua just goes utterly numb and i have to hard restart.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I have had more problems with Panther than with Jaguar which I have mostly written off as problems with the G5 I got to run it on. Mostly my problems seem to be that Panther/G5 seems to forget things. Like, all of a sudden my external hard disk will spin down and the computer will not recognize it until I reboot. This is effectively a crash since any application which has to access the drive freezes (including the finder). It does similar things with my Roland UA-20 (usb device... suddenly it decides it isn't here and I have to unplug it and replug it), and my DSL line. I have also had the infamous Black Screen problem (which I am pretty sure is a G5 problem and not a Panther problem). Altogether I am a little unhappy with myself for having run out and put myself on the bleeding edge this time.

Only one actual kernel panic though and that was with 10.3.0.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

it depends. with jaguar, i would get "app unexpectedly quit" messages on a semi-frequent basis. in panther, i get fewer small crashes, but every once in a while, i'll get a doozy where aqua just goes utterly numb and i have to hard restart.

The opposite for me. Jaguar had more unrecoverable crashes and Panther has more minor app crashes.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I have had more problems with Panther than with Jaguar which I have mostly written off as problems with the G5 I got to run it on. Mostly my problems seem to be that Panther/G5 seems to forget things. Like, all of a sudden my external hard disk will spin down and the computer will not recognize it until I reboot.

potentially dumb question, but did you check in the energy saver system pref? it has a "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" checkbox, which is on by default. if it does that to your external, with no way to kick it back on, then i could see the symptoms you're describing occurring. i always uncheck that box early on after i reinstall.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Unreliable, check your ram! It happend to me back in Jag, i had one stick of bad ram, and my comp was shit. Once i took it out, wheew, it has been good to me! So yea, check the ram and see how it works. Might want to reinstall your OS after too.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

potentially dumb question, but did you check in the energy saver system pref? it has a "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" checkbox, which is on by default. if it does that to your external, with no way to kick it back on, then i could see the symptoms you're describing occurring. i always uncheck that box early on after i reinstall.

Yeah, I have it put the hard drive to sleep after a few minutes. However that was never a problem under Jaguar, and I don't think it is a problem with the internal drives. Why do you turn this off? Have you ever had a similar problem?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I've yet to have a single system crash (kernel panic, dead screen, etc.) since the day I went to 10.1 (I must install things right or something). And since upgrading to Panther I've only had a handful of app crashes, almost all of them Adobe CS apps. iTunes will quit on me occasionally also.

Otherwise I've been real happy with Panther. I think part of the "stability" issue is that the big 3rd party apps are not well-tested on Panther, based on my observations of my and other people's machines. So people are seeing issues that are really stemming from the apps they have installed / running, more than Panther itself being bugged out.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I used to get freezes in Jag with my dual 800 at work. Now with Panther I've had zero system-related crashes/freezes. The occasional app will bomb out now and then but thats about it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    it happened to me daily so i deleted weather pop (dunno wich version) and eliminated some other menu extras. Then used cocktail. Now its fast and never crashes
  • Reply 11 of 13
    What is cocktail?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    My personal experience with Panther is that it feels a lot faster and a lot less stable. Jaguar froze on me once in more than a year on 2 Macs I use. Panther UI has already frozen twice on 1 Mac. No kernel panics, though (is it a shame to admit I've never seen a kernel panic for about 3 years?). Applications crash on Panther a lot more than on Jaguar, even with virgin accounts.

I feel a little disappointed. Granted, Panther is a great technological advance, it still needs debugging.

Quote:

Originally posted by jeagen

What is cocktail?

It's this.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    after i first installed panther, i had a bunch of finder crashes, but since i installed 10.3.2, no crashes for me