Broken powerbook suggestions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright so my 15" titanium 1Ghz PowerBook fell from the top bunk the other day. After looking at the damage, it didn't seem that bad. It was closed when it fell so all that happened was the white frame on top cracked and broken on the left, the bottem frame came off near the bottem left (with the battery falling out of course), and there is a giant dent below the Superdrive. Unfortunately I can't eject the cd that's in the computer but that isn't a very big problem. The big problem is that just recently the bottem third of the lcd screen blacks out or flickers white. When it happens I can't see anything in the bottem third of the screen. Fortunately when I play around with the screen (generally push the screen down from the top or push it together on the sides), I can fix it and can see everything. I looked online for how much it might cost to repair everything and being a college student, I'm not about to dish out 1500$ to fix my computer. My plan is to take the computer apart, re-form the bottem frame (fix the dent), super glue the cracked frame on top, and hope the screen doesn't get worse. I was just wondering if this seems like a good plan or if any one has some advice as to what i could do to keep my computer ok. Also if anyone has experience with their screen flickering black or sticking white any info on the would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    You may have messed up the connection to your display, or cracked something in the display, but I'm not sure. I don't know this is something you can fix if it's a cracked LCD, but if the connection just came loose you may be able to do something. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    It sounds like your problem is the video connection / cable. Murphy's Law will make that break/bad cable is in the hinge. The odds are that things will only get worse. Back up everything NOW! I haven't had to tear any PB's apart since the Ti 500, except for memory, airport cards and changing out hard drives. If the problem is in the hinge you are screwed. Otherwise tear it apart, reseat everything and hope for the best.

reg