Original iBook 500/DVD for surfing?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How much of a difference does mHz speed make if one's primary use is surfing using high speed broadband?

For instance, would a 66 bus 500mHz iBook feel any or much slower than say the 100 bus speed 600 mhz iBook?

Where is the bottleneck with an internet connection?

I probably wouldn't use OSX either so that's not an issue. I would just use it for mainly writing in Appleworks and maybe Filemaker Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>How much of a difference does mHz speed make if one's primary use is surfing using high speed broadband?

For instance, would a 66 bus 500mHz iBook feel any or much slower than say the 100 bus speed 600 mhz iBook?

Where is the bottleneck with an internet connection?

I probably wouldn't use OSX either so that's not an issue. I would just use it for mainly writing in Appleworks and maybe Filemaker Pro.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I can't answer the bus speed question, but the 500mhz ibook should be fine for that stuff. I had one for a long while until I upgraded to my powerbook and I never felt it was too slow for my needs. Just load it up on RAM and you should be peachy. The ibook is a GREAT computer and I miss it all the time (my g/f has it now, so I still get to visit). I'm sure you can pick one up for cheap too. You really can't go wrong with it. Great price for what you get.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    My 500MHz iBook is great for browsing. Plenty fast.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There was some XLR8yourMac overclocking stuff published a few months back. Apparently a 500/66 iBook, was about 30% faster, when overclocked to 600/100. They say it was a noticeable difference, but since even a 200Mhz machine (in OS9) is fast enough for web browsing, I don't think you're going to have a problem.