Powerbook - Bluetooth - Networking Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody know if the built-in bluetooth adapter can connect to a LAN if I added a bluetooth adapter to one of my PC's? I really don't want to spend $100 for an Airport Extreme card when i'll only need the wireless connection within about a 10 feet radius, and for email checking. Anyone ever done this, or am I hunting for a sasquatch here? =)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    They're different protocols. Bluetooth doesn't work with Airport and vice-versa. Besides, the data transfer speeds would be so slow you wouldn't want it anyway (we're talking dialup speeds at most).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    CosmoNut: I think you misunderstood cyko95's question

cyko95, I believe it is possible but non-trivial. this would require software on the PC to provide connection sharing and implement the Bluetooth dial-up networking profile (a subset of the Bluetooth spec)

basically, you'd need your laptop to pretend it's a bluetooh phone, at which point you could 'dial-in' to your PC over Bluetooth. while I'm certain it could be created, I have no idea whether such software exists.

my $.02: use an ethernet cable for now, then treat yourself to an AirPort card sometime in the future...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    The up-side of realising this set-up would be that you could probably use it for all your Bluetooth devices, I guess. I could use it for example to connect my Tungsten to the internet.

Which reminds me: there was an article on Macosxhints on how to realize this between a Mac and a Tungsten. But I never got it to work. I would really love it to work, though...