Print shop question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the process of making our wedding invitations and I've got a question for all you knowledgeable DTP folks. I want to have the invitations printed on a light blue paper. In Photoshop, I've filled a symbol with white. When I initially made the graphic, the background was white. I've since changed it to the color I want. My question is: will the symbol still be filled with white or will it be filled with some other color? I guess what I'm asking is: How do I ensure that the symbol will in fact be white if the color of the paper is different?

Here's what I'm talking about:

I guess I want the paper color to be the lighter blue on the right and the part on the left to be those colors. Is this easy to do? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    You'll have to print the white as a separate spot color if you're set on having light blue paper.

If the paper doesn't have some texture or effect you like embedded in the paper fiber, why not just go with white paper and print the light blue as a halftone of the darker blue on the left?

[edit:] Most printers are going to try and push you to do just this, as none of them really like to print a spot white. It usually involves running the sheet through the press more than once to get a nice bright white on colored stock.

[edit2:] You can also have the backside of the white paper stock printed with the same halftone as on the front so it looks like it was printed on light blue paper.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    The problem is that the invitation is going to be folded between the two blocks of text and we weren't sure we'd want to have the "outside" of the card be white. We're not set on this, though.

Any other caveats I need to watch out for when sending this to the shop?

edit: You edited your post while I was typing.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

The problem is that the invitation is going to be folded between the two blocks of text and we weren't sure we'd want to have the "outside" of the card be white. We're not set on this, though.

Ah. Printing the backside might do the trick. Depending on how thick your paper stock is, you might get 'cracking' on the folded edges, revealing the white paper. A good printer will score before they fold, so it might not be an issue. Get a paper sample from them if you can, and talk to them about potential cracking.

Quote:

Any other caveats I need to watch out for when sending this to the shop?

*DON'T* lay your text out in Photoshop. It will look like crap when it's finally printed. In fact, for a design like your's I'd suggest laying out the whole thing in Illustrator (or Freehand, InDesign, etc.). Basically any vector-based program.

And don't use transparencies. Use percentages of a named color...preferably a Pantone color.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Ah. Printing the backside might do the trick. Depending on how thick your paper stock is, you might get 'cracking' on the folded edges, revealing the white paper. A good printer will score before they fold, so it might not be an issue. Get a paper sample from them if you can, and talk to them about potential cracking.

Good to know. We were planning on doing the folding ourselves because I'm not sure the printer would do it. I haven't talked to them in a while.

Quote:

*DON'T* lay your text out in Photoshop. It will look like crap when it's finally printed. In fact, for a design like your's I'd suggest laying out the whole thing in Illustrator (or Freehand, InDesign, etc.). Basically any vector-based program.

And don't use transparencies. Use percentages of a named color...preferably a Pantone color.

Also really good to know. Thanks.

About the color thing: I got the color sample from David's Bridal's website in the hopes that the color of the bride's maid dresses there is close to the color they will be wearing. This pantone thing is new to me. Can you give me more details? (Maybe I'm getting in over my head....)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

About the color thing: I got the color sample from David's Bridal's website in the hopes that the color of the bride's maid dresses there is close to the color they will be wearing. This pantone thing is new to me. Can you give me more details? (Maybe I'm getting in over my head....)

Nah. Ask your printer to take a look at the website and give you an equivalent Pantone number. Or better yet, go over to his place and sit down with the Pantone books.

Basically, a Pantone number is what printers use for mixing a spot color. Think of it like going to Home Depot and having them mix you a paint color. They only have a finite set of 'pure' colors to mix with, and every other color they make is a specific mix of those. Same thing with Pantone colors, except instead of getting 'Relaxing SeaFoam Blue' you get '282 U'.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    is that blur implying that your we are not invited to the wedding?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

is that blur implying that your we are not invited to the wedding?

Actually, we're sending out 2 sets of invitations. One with that text blurred out for people we don't want but want the gifts and one for our "real" friends. So, yes you're invited, you're just not allowed to come.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Bastard!

I was going to get you a George Foreman grill, but forget it. You're getting a Flow-bee now.

Congratulations, by the way!