New Car company: Scion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.scion.com/

Not much info on their site. I looked at the specs of the car and realized it offers nothing new. The design is mediocre, not hybrid, not electric. So what's the big deal? Who asked for Yet Another Car Company?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    They are low end Toyotas.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Yeah, they are Toyotas, but toyota is trying to appeal to the young hip market so they are dissociating themselves from the toyota name in this case, If you goto a toyota dealership there is a seperate Scion section, a specially hired and trained "hip" salesman, and little to now mention of toyota at all.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

They are low end Toyotas.

Odd that the badge looks like that of Nissan.

(from a distance)
  • Reply 4 of 38
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    They've been working overtime trying to associate themselves with graffiti, with gallery shows and everything.

I just noticed on the website theres an section on Haze.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I like that $300 cupholder illuminator. That is one expensive lightbulb!
  • Reply 6 of 38
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The cars are very modestly equipped to sell at really low prices. Toyota plans on making up the money on their own in-house hop-ups of which there will be many. The cars are pretty popular for only having been available here in California for a few months.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    When My sister was in the market for a car recently, she looked at the scion briefly, the salesguy gave her what could be called a magazine, oh wait it's 'zine for the cool kids \

eitherway, it was a bunch of music reviews and stuff with the sales packet information snuck in there from time to time.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i love these scion cars: i think they will take over the first-time buyer's market (people in their mid 20s)...hopefully those 16 year old goons don't get ahold of these cars and turn them into nonsense (associated with phrases such as 'bling' or large rims, or flames on the car), thus demotivating a normal 22 year old like myself from buying one

but i love the one that looks like a boot. it reminds me of the element, which i also love

....yes, we understand some people don't care for bold element-type styling, so don't bother posting how f*ing ugly they are
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Yeah, that's what my sister ended up getting, an element.

I was apprehensive about it at first, but once we took our first long trip in it, that car is like...perfect.

I'm 6'4" and I had massive leg room in the front and back, in addition to a lot of head room. not too mention the built in digital input for the iPod, it's a great car.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Well, thre's 2 Scions right?A and B? One is nice and curvy, the other one is literally a box on wheels. :/

I saw the "curvy" Scion while on the freeway today and really liked the lines...but it looks tiny. I'm sure younger people will like them.
  • Reply 11 of 38

I haven't looked through the site yet... but the first link I clicked it showed a car priced at $12,965. That's cheap ass for new cars these days. Are they any good?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    one of the worst mistakes i have ever seen out of an auto company. toyota should be embarassed.

oh well. i give it two years before it's discontinued...
  • Reply 13 of 38
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I saw a bunch of these when I was in southern California. I gotta say that I like the little box. It's like David Byrne: So square that it's hip.

The prices are great, too. Hybrids have always been dogged by unrealistic price tags. This actually makes them practical. They seem to have struck a nerve in California, and I imagine they'll be snapped up by other urban commuters (outside of Detroit). I wouldn't mind one myself, especially after hearing that a fellow big guy fit easily inside.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i love these scion cars... hopefully those 16 year old goons don't get ahold of these cars and turn them into nonsense (associated with phrases such as 'bling' or large rims, or flames on the car), thus demotivating a normal 22 year old like myself from buying one

What are you saying, you don't like the look of a Honda Civic with the purple glow on the undercarriage, giant chrome muffler and bitchin mags? And let's not forget the massive spoiler wing on back and the "Fear THIS" sticker emblazoned on the windshield. Bad A-S-S! I know I tremble with fear every time I see one. Those things are almost as fast as my Subaru wagon, man!

Word: those kids are true gangsta-playaz, foo! Betta watch yoself o ya might get bling-blinged in yo ling-ling....

• Reply 15 of 38
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The xB is bad-ass.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Because..... ?

You like concept of a rectangle on wheels? That thing makes Volvo's designs look avant guard.

• Reply 17 of 38
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I actually like the old Volvo wagons. There is something utilitarian - in the best sense - about the box on wheels.

The new, Fordified Volvos I'm no so sure about. They strike me as overdesigned. But the old '70s and '80s wagons rule.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I always thought that the cars adopted by kids were cheap regular cars that they could trick out. So that it was really a scene generated by the kids themselves, without the taint of being marketed to.

It seems like having a car company bring out a model pre-labled as "hip", with the accessorizing coming from a catalogue, runs against that whole vibe.

But then again, maybe I'm underestimating the collapse of independent imagination outside target demographics and brand loyality.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I always thought that the cars adopted by kids were cheap regular cars that they could trick out. So that it was really a scene generated by the kids themselves, without the taint of being marketed to.

It seems like having a car company bring out a model pre-labled as "hip", with the accessorizing coming from a catalogue, runs against that whole vibe.

that is 100% correct. just look at the honda element for more evidence of this topic...

it is crashing and burning on its target audience of "young people." the only elements i see around are by middle aged guys.

what was toyota thinking...
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I actually like the old Volvo wagons. There is something utilitarian - in the best sense - about the box on wheels.

The new, Fordified Volvos I'm no so sure about. They strike me as overdesigned. But the old '70s and '80s wagons rule.

My Dad's got an '88 240 wagon. I'm not sure if it's for sale or not, but PM me if you're interested.