There's the iPod, But Where's the PowerPod?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is a really obvious and simplistic question - "There's the iPod, But Where's the PowerPod?" You know, the iPod's more advanced, expensive brother? We all know that Apple loves high end gear (and the corresponding high prices), so must not there be a PowerPod somewhere in 1 Infinite Loop? Is that what the videoPod, which everyone is intrigued by, will ultimately be called? Or should we take SJ at face value and believe him when he says such a device isn't coming? And if a PowerPod isn't video enabled, then what other features would be present to differentiate it from the iPod?

It's just logical to assume that there is such a device in the works. The iPod is the only product line that doesn't have a professional counterpart. Where is the PowerPod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    good question Big Mac ... I've been waiting for a PowerPod (or at least an improved iPod for ages.

Won't buy until it has better (more encompassing) iLife compatability, with, of course, a colour screen.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Why does an mp3 player need a consumer and professional line? Why would you need a color screen on an mp3 player? Who would pay more then we already do for this iPod? Would it be like 700 dollars? It would fail.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ipod mini=ipod

ipod=powerpod

4th gen will be much more advanced...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Since the iPod has become the "bring it to the party" device, why not make a model with an integrated 2megapix camera.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I never see iPods at parties, theres too great of chance to lose one.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

I never see iPods at parties, theres too great of chance to lose one.

When we have parties at our house my friends always make me the DJ of the party. I usually hook my iBook up to the stereo w/ my bluetooth adapter and use my SE T616 to control iTunes. I keep the iBook locked away in the entertainment center and nobody can touch it.

On long roadtrips w/ my firends they're always like "bring the iPod".

Apple has done a great job with music lately I must say.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

You know, the iPod's more advanced, expensive brother?

you don't think the iPod is expensive as it is ?

who in hell is gonna buy a thousand dollar walkman ?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

You know, the iPod's more advanced, expensive brother?

Fool that I am, i felt the iPod to be mighty expensive as it is

But, yeah, bring it on, Apple. I ain't gonna buy an iPod unless it has a color TFT that can display visuals like iTunes does...
  • Reply 9 of 25
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Fool that I am, i felt the iPod to be mighty expensive as it is

But, yeah, bring it on, Apple. I ain't gonna buy an iPod unless it has a color TFT that can display visuals like iTunes does...

And what's the purpose of that? How often do you go jogging, walking, running with a video screen. A video screen on an iPod is a ridiculous idea. I just saw some video content contraption on tech tv, or somewhere the other day. It was a completely pointless product. Unless your point could have been to prove it can be done, but it should have remained a prototype because it's usefulness is non-existant.

[in retard voice] "I ain't gonna buy an iPod unless it has a color TFT that can display visuals like iTunes does..." [/in retard voice]
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I usually hook my iBook up to the stereo w/ my bluetooth adapter and use my SE T616 to control iTunes. I keep the iBook locked away in the entertainment center and nobody can touch it.

pimp.

thats all i have to say.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    use a 200 gb uwstern digital hdd and color screen integrate ITMS artwork display, see iphoto pics, watch imovies and connection for a mixer (for DJs)
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Why does an mp3 player need a consumer and professional line? Why would you need a color screen on an mp3 player? Who would pay more then we already do for this iPod? Would it be like 700 dollars? It would fail.

A phone doesn't need to have games, have a camera, be able to send pictures, be able to surf the internet, or be able to download email. But some can do all of these. I'm not suggesting that the iPod be bastardised with a whole load of peripheral functions, but just because you can't see the use for something, doesn't mean it won't become essential in some future incarnation (cf. SMS, mobile phones themselves, the internet, computers...)

And who the hell would spend £2199 on a notebook comp-... oh wait...

• Reply 13 of 25
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    We don't need a color screen on our iPod's. We don't need cheap cameras on our iPods. We don't need iPods to become video game consoles. Please keep iPods simple and useful for what they do- play music.

Of course, I am the kind of person who despises cell phone feature creep. All I want is the thinnest possible clamshell phone with good battery life. I don't care about color screens or cameras or anything like that.

If Apple wants to make their own camera, cool. I'd probably buy because it would be usable. If Apple wants to brand their own phone, cool I would consider buying. Please don't make a combo camera/phone/game console/music player.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

We don't need a color screen on our iPod's. We don't need cheap cameras on our iPods. We don't need iPods to become video game consoles. Please keep iPods simple and useful for what they do- play music.

Of course, I am the kind of person who despises cell phone feature creep. All I want is the thinnest possible clamshell phone with good battery life. I don't care about color screens or cameras or anything like that.

If Apple wants to make their own camera, cool. I'd probably buy because it would be usable. If Apple wants to brand their own phone, cool I would consider buying. Please don't make a combo camera/phone/game console/music player.

But the public loves to buy that kind of combo stuff. The biggest Consumer Electronic device getting promo'd at Walmart is a DVD-VCR. They have 3 or 4 different models. Why? cause people like lots of features in one package, and it sells product.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

But the public loves to buy that kind of combo stuff. The biggest Consumer Electronic device getting promo'd at Walmart is a DVD-VCR. They have 3 or 4 different models. Why? cause people like lots of features in one package, and it sells product.

Great. A Crappy DVD player and a Crappy VCR sold at a Crappy place like wal mart.

The problem is that all that extra functionality costs more money. I would prefer for iPod prices to simply fall to the point where they are very affordable (say $150 for a mini iPod), and then once the things are just getting dirt cheap then start adding all the consumerish junk onto them.

Right now, Apple wants and needs to make iPods more affordable. They need to reduce price, not add features.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Great. A Crappy DVD player and a Crappy VCR sold at a Crappy place like wal mart.

The problem is that all that extra functionality costs more money. I would prefer for iPod prices to simply fall to the point where they are very affordable (say $150 for a mini iPod), and then once the things are just getting dirt cheap then start adding all the consumerish junk onto them.

Right now, Apple wants and needs to make iPods more affordable. They need to reduce price, not add features.

Yes, I want the iPod to be cheaper. I can agree with that. But the consumerish junk sells and sells big. And as for WalMart, that crappy place sells to poor trash like me, and the rich trash. And yes they sell some crappy stuff, and occasionally some good stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

A phone doesn't need to have games, have a camera, be able to send pictures, be able to surf the internet, or be able to download email. But some can do all of these.

How many of them can do any of those well?

More depressingly, how many of them can do those things at the cost of throwing a few more obstacles in the way of using the phone to make a phone call?

I don't want Apple to make some crap with zillions of useless features just because there are people who buy crap. I don't think that's the right idea, anyway: The iPod dominates despite having fewer features than many of its competitors, just because it does what it does really, really well.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    If it was up to me, I'd limit the iPod to being able top play music files, an AM/FM Tuner, and a Audio recording ability... the to do lists and games are unnessacery. Those 3 things are about all you need in a portable audio product. Keep those/add those 3 things, drop everything else. Drop the cost. Don't add crap features and run up the price.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:

All I want is the thinnest possible clamshell phone with good battery life.

You and me both. I find that I am not upgrading from my V8160 because I can't find a phone that's as small and yet still has decent battery life. I don't care about taking crappy VGA pictures with it or going blind trying to play a game on a screen the size of my thumbnail.

But I know I'm in the minority on that
  • Reply 20 of 25
    lol i propose apple moves to 3 ipod lines:

bottom end: consumer crap that people will buy only because its cheap (the PC users that hardly know what an mp3 is)

Mac-exclusive:

middle: ipod mini. classy, useful, and fairly cheap (maybe 150 to 200?)

top: ipod for people with huge amounts of music

obviously i'm kidding about those being mac-exclusive, but seriously, your average PC user doesnt know crap about what they own.