Compile Redhat "make" file to run on OSX?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys,

Need some help from the linix Gurus! Where I work, we use a lot of virtual servers to run various apps. These apps require their own servers w/o other apps on them or vendors won't support us. Anyway, we use a VMware client to access all the terminals we have set up. There are Windows clients and Redhat clients, however no OSX clients.

I can extract the Redhat package and see the "make" file. Can I recompile this to run on OSX, or will I need to run Yellow Dog on top of OSX and recompile it there? If I could get this to work I would not need to use my windows laptop anymore. Any help would be most appreciated!

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    well, from what you've said, i can't be certain, but there is a strong chance that you can compile and run the program on osx. You'll need developer tools (used to be an extra cd with osx, also available online for no-cost). Once you have the dev tools installed, you can try working off of the linux source. (Shall I assume you are familiar with the make process on linux?) Depending on how well programmed the program is, in particular how deeply it goes into kernel space, it may or may not compile. It may require massive (or perhaps just minor) porting. If you run into snags compiling, post your errors, and I might be able to walk you through them.