Mail on iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am a new (3 month) Apple user and have a 3 month old iMac. Somehow my "Mail" program has been lost. In the dock it is covered by a question mark and I can find it no where. (I think my 11 year old son may have something to do with this--)

How do I get it back? It is not on the software disk. Do I have to reinstall the OsX operating system to get it back and then update the Os software?? Please help, and thanks in advance.

Robert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    before you do anything, make sure you do a search for it, just in case (apple-F after clicking a blank desktop). if its not there, i believe you can pop in the install disc and only install the app, but what what you click, cause you probably dont wanna re-install the whole system.

and hey, while your kid did delete an app, at least he did it using a mac! youre starting him off right!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

before you do anything, make sure you do a search for it, just in case (apple-F after clicking a blank desktop). if its not there, i believe you can pop in the install disc and only install the app, but what what you click, cause you probably dont wanna re-install the whole system.

and hey, while your kid did delete an app, at least he did it using a mac! youre starting him off right!

There is a lot of stuff there (under search), but no Application. The choices on the software restore disk include OsX or some applications that do not include "Mail." I reinstalled the software and it screwed up my Officev.X (I know, no microsoft products) and it went back to the "your test drive of Officev.X is up, blah, blah, blah. I had to reinstall it. The other choice on the disk is to reinstall the operating system, and, as you say, I don't want to do that, I don't think. Very confused.

Robert
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    1 - Download and install Pacifist

2 - Insert your Mac OS X Install CD 1 and launch Pacifist

3 - Click 'Open Package...' and navigate to: Mac OS X Install Disk 1 > System > Installation > Packages > Essentials.pkg

You can reinstall Mail and other apps from this package.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rgohlke

I am a new (3 month) Apple user and have a 3 month old iMac. Somehow my "Mail" program has been lost. In the dock it is covered by a question mark and I can find it no where. (I think my 11 year old son may have something to do with this--)

How do I get it back? It is not on the software disk. Do I have to reinstall the OsX operating system to get it back and then update the Os software?? Please help, and thanks in advance.

Robert

Just a word of advice since Jambo told you how to get it back: create a non-admin user for your son to prevent things like this from happening again. I would never let anyone use my account on my computer let alone an 11 year-old. OS X is multi-user. Learn to love it and you'll be saved a whole lot of heart ache.

To create a new user for your son, so to System Preferences -> Accounts and click on the + sign down in the bottom left of the pane. It defaults to non-admin access so that's all you have to do.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Just a word of advice since Jambo told you how to get it back: create a non-admin user for your son to prevent things like this from happening again. I would never let anyone use my account on my computer let alone an 11 year-old. OS X is multi-user. Learn to love it and you'll be saved a whole lot of heart ache.

To create a new user for your son, so to System Preferences -> Accounts and click on the + sign down in the bottom left of the pane. It defaults to non-admin access so that's all you have to do.

Thanks to everyone!! Problem solved.

Robert
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by rgohlke

There is a lot of stuff there (under search), but no Application. The choices on the software restore disk include OsX or some applications that do not include "Mail." I reinstalled the software and it screwed up my Officev.X (I know, no microsoft products) and it went back to the "your test drive of Officev.X is up, blah, blah, blah. I had to reinstall it. The other choice on the disk is to reinstall the operating system, and, as you say, I don't want to do that, I don't think. Very confused.

Robert

That's one thing that annoys me. You simply can't choose to install one single application if needed. Eiter yu must download Pacifist, or do... something else... m.