Will 15,20,40 gb models get click wheel?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Personally I think the arrangement of the buttons on the mini (and on the 1st gen iPods) are the most intuitive, much better than the 3G iPods.

Plus I'm sure there are those who love the new click wheel of the iPod mini, but want a larger disk capacity.

Do you think the next revisions of the larger iPods will adapt the click wheel?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    <lovin' new technology>

solid state scroll wheel is the best, and the way of the future. i'm sure you can pick up an older gen ipod if you really like them. the solis states are so pimp though.

</lovin' new technology>
  • Reply 2 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    As ipodandimac floats off into his own little world, I have to say I agree with satchmo. The touchpad buttons are pretty awful. They're too easy to trigger accidentally.

I do think the the separate buttons are more intuitive than overlaying them on the wheel, but making them actual mechanical buttons again was the right move.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I love the mini design.

I like the touch wheel because it's really neat, but it's also really sensitive, but once you set up your playlist, it's pretty easy to hit hold on the remote, or on the iPod, so it doesn't bug me.

I'm not a big fan of the original pod design..it worked and was intuitive, but it was too..clunky.

I dunno, eitherway, I'd imagine as drives slim down more, we'll see this design used in the big pods.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

As ipodandimac floats off into his own little world, I have to say I agree with satchmo. The touchpad buttons are pretty awful. They're too easy to trigger accidentally.

I do think the the separate buttons are more intuitive than overlaying them on the wheel, but making them actual mechanical buttons again was the right move.

well either you need to use the hold button more, or just be more careful with your fingers. i dont see how people have problems with the sensitivity--just dont touch it until you need to!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well either you need to use the hold button more, or just be more careful with your fingers. i dont see how people have problems with the sensitivity--just dont touch it until you need to!

You went off into la-la land about the solid-state scroll-wheel, which the iPod mini has. I'm not even sure what your first reply was about.

Careful with my fingers? I can trigger the buttons just by reaching into my pocket and applying zero-pressure to the buttons. The scroll-wheel is another matter since accidentally touching the wheel at most changes the volume a bit.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i just noticed something. since when did apple change the typeface for the ipod display from chicago? isn't that new typeface the font they were GOING to use for the defunct copland project? (aka espi sans)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

You went off into la-la land about the solid-state scroll-wheel, which the iPod mini has. I'm not even sure what your first reply was about.

Careful with my fingers? I can trigger the buttons just by reaching into my pocket and applying zero-pressure to the buttons. The scroll-wheel is another matter since accidentally touching the wheel at most changes the volume a bit.

maybe my ipod is less sensitive than yours then..... if anything, i wish it was a little more sensitive. maybe the difference is that i use the inCase belt clip. when i reach for the pod, i grab the case, not the buttons (when i'm not wearing it, and just have it in my pocket)
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Careful with my fingers? I can trigger the buttons just by reaching into my pocket and applying zero-pressure to the buttons.

*H*O*L*D*
  • Reply 9 of 18
    the touch pad responds to the touch of a friggin feather, i don't like it
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The others will undoubtedly get the mini's scroll wheel and under-the-wheel button design. It is a rare instance where the lower cost product will influence the higher end model. At least the lower cost version was released first...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

*H*O*L*D*

*L*A*M*E*

It's a wasted step. The hold button's not exactly easy to switch too, especially now that the button is completely flat vs. the 2nd gen's with the tiny little bump.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

You don't even have a 3G iPod, do you? If you did then you'd know that the hold button on the new iPod is actually easier to switch than it was on the old one.

And putting iPod in pocket without engaging hold is pretty dumb.

Are you trying to argue with me for the sake of it? I do own one iPod from each generation.

Please look at the above photo of a G3 iPod vs. a G2 iPod and tell me why the new hold button is easier to switch than the old.

1) The old switch has a 'grippy' on the surface to grip.

2) The old switch is larger.

3) The straight grippy is much more effective at catching your fingernail than the beveled edge of the new button.

4) The straight grippy allows for minimal repositioning of the fingernail to move the switch back. The new button forces you to move your finger much more to do the same action.

5) The new switch certainly looks better.

I never needed to use the hold button on my non-3rd generation iPods even though they had raised buttons.

As mattjohndrow mentioned, "the touch pad responds to the touch of a friggin feather." He's friggin' right.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So you don't know that it's a b*tch to move, do you?

Right because never in the 1.5 years of Gen2 iPod ownership have I ever used the hold switch...

Quote:

While I can easily use the surface of my finger or thumb (not the fingernail) to move the new switch, I had to apply much more pressure to move the old one. It was just a tighter switch.

I have small hands, and I'm a skinny guy. It should be easier for me to use the new hold switch than the average person. Even then, I have to consciously use the more callous skin near the fingertip to consistently get enough grip on the edge of the switch. Even then it tends to slide off because it's beveled.

Quote:

And the old one is in a recess, with only the "ridge" sticking out. The new one is NOT flush with the unit.

That would be an advantage if it was a multidirectional switch, but what good are the raised edges on either side?

Quote:

I just find the new one easier to move. No fingernail necessary.

Fine, we'll leave it at that, but I'm not the only one that detests the touch-sensitive buttons. Bring on the Gen4 iPod with the iPod mini style rocker touchpad scroll-wheel.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Count me in the "I hate the 3G iPod" camp. The buttons are way too sensitive. They can be activated while in my shirt pocket. Pulling the iPod out of my pocket, or trying to press a button while in my pocket almost guarantees a wrong button press. Also, some of the features require a press and hold. with hyper-sensitive buttons, that is a rather iffy proposition at best.

I primarily use my iPod for listening to audio books while commuting to and from work on the public transportation system. It is bad enough when you accidentally skip to the beginning of a song. Try losing your place in a six hour audio book and having to re-find it several times a day.

The hold switch is more difficult to use on the 3G. I too have a 2G as well, at least my wife does. Picture this: you are standing in a crowded commuter train, you have a backpack and you are holding your gloves and/or perhaps an umbrella. You are listening to your latest Grisham when... "Buzz!" Your cell phone starts vibrating. You shift the gloves and the umbrella to one hand. You hook your arm around one of the vertical poles to maintain your balance. You reach for your iPod to pause it. Instead of just pressing the pause button, you must first deactivate the hold switch. Reaching into you pocket for the pause button, you accidentally touch the "back" button. By the time you have stopped your pod, you have managed to loose your place in the audio book, drop your gloves, and miss your phone call, all because the 3G iPod is all about style, not good, functional design.

I will be trading it in for a Mini as soon as they become available. The no-look click wheel is the only selling point that matters to me.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    are you forgetting that there is a whole METAL side to 3G ipods?!?!?!? come on people... if you always hit the buttons, try grabbing the OTHER side. how do you guys use your cell phones?!?! do you randomly call people all the time? yes the buttons are sensitive, but its not hard to avoid them, unless you have absolutely crap for motor skills.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    The problem is we AREN'T hitting the buttons.

My cell phone doesn't use electro-static touchpad buttons, does it?