Word Documents Have "Slashes"?!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My CV suddenly has "slashes" in it, which are *ONLY* visible when printed, even to PDF. I can't get rid of them by re-typing the text, pasting the text into a new document, or trashing Word and its prefs and re-installing it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Did you try changing the font?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Okay, progress, thank you!

Changing the font does indeed get rid of the slashes.

However, I tried re-installing the font from an external disk--a copy I have used often with no problem--and the slashes return. So how do I "fix" this particular font? I sent it to a friend, and he has no problem printing it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by unremarkable

My CV suddenly has "slashes" in it, which are *ONLY* visible when printed, even to PDF. I can't get rid of them by re-typing the text, pasting the text into a new document, or trashing Word and its prefs and re-installing it. Any ideas?

<snip>

Just out of curiosity, you say they're only visible when printed yet they're in you snapshots?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    He said they also appear when saved to PDF from the print dialog.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yep, I took a snap of the PDF.

So, does anyone know why the font won't work no more? It's the same font I've used often before--surely the version on my external disk hasn't suddenly gone wonky?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Well, you probably need to do some more tracking down to figure out what's happening.

* Does it do this printing from any other app, Texedit, Safari etc.?

* If you send the PDF to another machine does it display wonky?

* Why do the spaces between words look so small? The words run into each other.

* Are all those semi-colons supposed to be there?

* What happens if you increase the text size to about 100pts?

* does it only happen on certain letters?

* Have you futzed with the advanced font options (letter variants etc.)?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    This is/was occuring with some PDFs I created on the PC side... I believe the PDFs were printed (PC again) using Acrobat 6. I guess it's a fault in Acrobat with embedded fonts...

Jb
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Reinstall your printer driver just for the heck of it. Maybe it will help.