PB backlit keyboard worth it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm pretty close to just getting this Powerbook 15" 1ghz bundle that seems like a pretty good deal through school (basically edu pricing + $200 off the cost of adding AppleCare and Airport card). Since its through the Apple Store I have the option of customizing the machine. Backlit Keyboard is only another $68 bucks.

For those of you that have it, is it worth it? Does the autosensing work very well or does it ever get annoying?

I know I'm cutting it close to a possible PB update but the wife is in school as well so I figure we can always sell this one and use her discount on a second one if they get updated in the near future (does that make sense?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd call it a "nice to have" instead of a "necessity." I know the couple times I was in a darker room using the laptop it was good to be able to read the keyboard easily.

I'd actually recommend it for the screen-dimming abilities. On my old Powerbook I was constantly adjusting the screen brightness for the environment that I was in, but this takes care of nearly all adjustments I need. With the way it's set up, you basically tell the machine how bright you want the screen in different light levels and from then on it'll remember those and adjust it automatically. Same with the keyboard. You can tell it how bright you want the keys to be.

I'd say if you can spare the extra bucks, go for it. It'll come in useful. If you really can't/don't want to spend the money then it's no biggie either. Hope that helps!

SIDE NOTE: I don't have a darn clue how the light sensor is built into it, because I've tried everything I can to find it and I can't! I have a feeling that the WHOLE backlight system takes an average throughout all the fibers underneath, because covering up any specific area of the keyboard doesn't trigger it on. Mysterious.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

SIDE NOTE: I don't have a darn clue how the light sensor is built into it, because I've tried everything I can to find it and I can't! I have a feeling that the WHOLE backlight system takes an average throughout all the fibers underneath, because covering up any specific area of the keyboard doesn't trigger it on. Mysterious.

The sensors are underneath the speaker grill. If you cover up your speakers you will see how it affects your keyboard and screen.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I personally like having the backlit keyboard. I spend a lot of time typing in the dark so I have a use for it.

It just really depends on how often you like sitting in the dark using your laptop. I do it a lot so I find it useful. It works very well.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Cool thanks for the info. I didn't know how the dimming system worked and was worried it might be annoying in some way. Being able to specify how it affects the screen/keys sounds great. I should have expected as much from Apple :P
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Dude.

You need the backlit keyboard.

It's like you're out buying an Rx-7, and the guy says "For 3000 more you can get the type RZ. It has more power, Bilsteins, special wheels, and wicked-cool red seats." Of course, if you were buying an RZ, that line would have been in Japanese, but hey. . .

Wicked cool red seats do it everytime. The jury is in, and it agrees.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    be aware that you are only allowed 1 notebook purchase per year when using the edu discount...

I think the edu term starts sometime in the summer (August 1st maybe)...?

I am probably wrong with that date...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by shabbasuraj

be aware that you are only allowed 1 notebook purchase per year when using the edu discount...

I think the edu term starts sometime in the summer (August 1st maybe)...?

I am probably wrong with that date...

From what I could gather from his post, both he and his wife are in school.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    The thing about my 15" is, with the backlight on, it really BARELY helps, and this is why.

the screen, even when it's almost entirely dark, still illuminates the keys well enough to see. Granted, I do have excellent vision, it's still far more gimicky, aesthetic than functional.

however, it is nice to have it on, and it has been a little helpful now and again.

If the keyboard was black, then it would be way more helpful, I can't even begin to think about the number of time I typed poorly in on my old Pro keyboard.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    this is off-topic, but I haven't heard any new 15" AlBook owners talk about the quality of the keyboard itself --- is it as good as the 12", which supposedly is wonderful? (or do all three PowerBooks use the same model keyboard now?)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

this is off-topic, but I haven't heard any new 15" AlBook owners talk about the quality of the keyboard itself --- is it as good as the 12", which supposedly is wonderful? (or do all three PowerBooks use the same model keyboard now?)

I love the keyboard on the new 15in AlBook. It is one of the best keyboards I have ever used. Great feel to it. It is the same keyboard that is used in the rest of the PowerBooks. The 12, 15 and 17 share the same keyboard, except the 15 and 17 have the illuminated keys.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

The thing about my 15" is, with the backlight on, it really BARELY helps, and this is why.

the screen, even when it's almost entirely dark, still illuminates the keys well enough to see. Granted, I do have excellent vision, it's still far more gimicky, aesthetic than functional.

however, it is nice to have it on, and it has been a little helpful now and again.

If the keyboard was black, then it would be way more helpful, I can't even begin to think about the number of time I typed poorly in on my old Pro keyboard.

I agree, on my 17" i find the backlit keyboard is often obscured by the brightness of the screen, so you will have to adjust the brightness settings for both to get it just right.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If you can swing the $68, why not? Might help on re-sell down the road?

When I first saw this last January on the then-new 17", my reaction was "hey, cute...".

But now that I've used for over three months, I have to say I enjoy it quite a bit. I use my PowerBook in the dark a lot (I know, I know...). And I type a lot.

Just seems to make for a nice feature that I've really come to appreciate (especially since the keys and the layout of them are a bit different on the laptops than the full-size pro keyboards I'm used to...it helps to see - in a darkened room - some of those function key double uses and whatnot...I haven't memorized them all yet).

If it were me, I'd spring for the lighted keyboard.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Yeah I was thinking it might be a good differentiating factor for resale too. I think I'm sold on it now. Thanks guys.

To clarify someones question above, i'm part-time faculty and my wife is also in school. The deal I'm getting is a faculty thing, and I'm rationalizing getting a PB now despite the impending update since we can still get another edu discount through wife's school (though not as nice as mine).

Course that'll be another bit of convincing the wife on my part when it happens... "but honey, if we sell this one we JUST bought, for another couple hundred we can get the NEW one!". She'll eventually give in. heh.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I don't think the backlit keyboard is a gimmik at all. I love it, and it is one of the best features of the powerbook. The only gripe i have with it is i'd rather it just turn on or off, none of the fading half way stuff - where it just makes the light look the same colour as the keys.