Dual GHz G4: loud, loud, LOUD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If I also count the fans on the Radeon card and in the superdrive there are total of FIVE FANS inside my new Dual "SlowSilver" (tm) tower :eek:

It is fine when you first turn it on. But once the internal temperature gets higher the other fans start to kick in....and jesus.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Lol. I am SURE though it is not as loud as my friend's Athlon I just helped him build. 2 fans in the power supply, 2 in the front, 1 on the Radeon 8500, a HUGE and I mean HUGE heasync with a fan as loud as a friggin jet, and about 3-4 others scattered throughout it. And it still runs at ~130-140 degrees F.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Wow....that's insane......

The dual athlon that borrowed (or use a better term - STEAL) from my friend also is f*cking loud. But it's under the desk so it helps a little.....but I don't know how hot the inside is......
  • Reply 3 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>If I also count the fans on the Radeon card and in the superdrive there are total of FIVE FANS inside my new Dual "SlowSilver" (tm) tower :eek:

It is fine when you first turn it on. But once the internal temperature gets higher the other fans start to kick in....and jesus.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

You also have your tower on your desk...

Stick it under your desk...on carpet or area rug...Instant noise reduction.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Darn, and I was about to buy one with a Cinema Display HD too...

Oh, right, I only have 1/7th of the cost...erm...in six years!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I have a Dual GHz w/ a Radeon and it is MUCH quieter than the 867 I had. MUCH quieter! That was a jet engine!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I haven't heard the DP 1Gig myself but from having built myself a PC workstation a couple years ago (the one I am about to retire) has 1 pull fan out the back, one on the CPU, another on the video card, 2 adjacent to the power supply and all mounted in a 3U highly vented rackmount case- that's loud. Not to mention the heat it puts out between that and the 19" CRT, it gives the room it's in a whole new enviroment. Man I love my new iMac, so much quieter (and cooler to an extent.)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    metacommetacom Posts: 32member
    That cant be as loud as my PC. It has a coolermaster ATC 200 case. It has two fans up front, a fan at the top, power supply fan, radeon 32ddr fan, hsf fan, and an additional fan in the back... all to cool a t-bird 800. I only turn this thing on when I NEED to get work done.

[quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>If I also count the fans on the Radeon card and in the superdrive there are total of FIVE FANS inside my new Dual "SlowSilver" (tm) tower :eek:

It is fine when you first turn it on. But once the internal temperature gets higher the other fans start to kick in....and jesus.....</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 8 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I couldn't stand a PowerMac on the desk right in front of me... get that bad boy down on the floor!!

I got a few comments on my setup saying "How can you put that work of art down on the floor?"

Obviously from people who hadn't ever used a PowerMac.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    How loud can it be? I have an AMD duron box I built myself, it has 9 or so fans. One on the power supply, one on the chipset, one on the video card, 2 exhaust fans, 2 intake fans, one on the hard drive, one one the CPU... maybe others i'm forgetting about. Its LOUD. I hardly use it anymore, hehe. But its also over clocked from 600mhz to 950. Not bad for a $60 chip!

Mostly now i just use my cube, its silent .

Are the CPUs on the dual gz still passively cooled? If so, thats still pretty impressive.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by stepson:

<strong>Are the CPUs on the dual gz still passively cooled? If so, thats still pretty impressive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. There is a fan stick to the heat sink. The heat sink is VERY hot when the machine is on for over an hour
  • Reply 11 of 15
    This is pretty bad everybody comparing who has the loudest PC. I am so glad to have my new iMac Superdrive. Granted when the optical drive is running it's a little louder but I like the quiet, don't have to turn the tunes up so loud as to agrivate everyone just so you can hear them adequately. Besides I can take a smaller power drain, makes my UPS last longer when necessary.

It's good to be quiet. :cool:
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I think I have everyone beat. My SGI Onyx has god knows how many fans, but when it's on it sounds like an industrial sized air conditioning unit. The manual specifically describes proper placement of the unit in order to prevent obstruction of any of the vents to prevent proper airflow for cooling the thing. Suffice it to say, it's loud, and it's big, and I have a single 20A electrical circuit dedicated especially to it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Personnaly i find my G4 533 too noisy, my beige and B&W G3 are less noisy.

Apple have to work on the acoustic of his future design.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    AHHH! The cool of the Cube... :cool:
  • Reply 15 of 15
    There's a bunch of articles on how to quite the quicklilver a bit over at <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com"; target="_blank">xlr8yourmac</a>.