Mobile Phones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm in the UK, currently a T-Mobile user and have a Sony Ericsson T610. (I'm sorry if this post rambles as I try to include too many points!)

Up until 6 months ago I'd never used anything other than a Nokia. My last phone was a 6610, a really nice handset, actually, perhaps the best I'd ever had from them. However, I wanted to iSync my phone with bluetooth so looked at changing. Well, I've been having a lot of problems. A few months back I stopped receiving alerts when I had voice mail waiting and then whenever I pressed the voicemail activation key it would dial I number of another mobile I've never even called before - no option on the phone to change it. T-Mobile claim that it is a handset issue, but as I'd never done anything to change the settings on the phone I'm guessing its a network problem, some update or other that messed the phone up (But I'm not technical, so I could be dreaming). Also, my phone will not let me send text messages to certain contacts in my address book, i must delete their number and then enter it manually if it is to send ... all very irritating. (As I a side issue, I think its disgusting that the phone companies get away with how unrelaible and quick to break mobile phones are. I know people upgrade often, but I normally experience some minor fault within 12months).

Anyway, first off - I'd appreciate opinion as to whether the above are handset or network issues. A friend of mine on Vodafone with a T610 has also had sporadic instances of her phone not giving her a voice mail alerts.

So, today I began looking at new handsets. I couldn't find anything which, in my opinion, was as attractive as the T610 - and I don't even think it looks that great - the 'metal effect' is beginning to scratch off mine. I thought about a Nokia 6600, but in the flesh it looks so toy-like. There isn't a single Nokia design I like anymore (save the 6610 - but that's got such a small screen and no bluetooth). I'm not a fan of the clamshell design either. So, I'd appreciate advice on handsets.

However, my final point (and I know there's been specualtion about this), why doesn't Apple release some kind of phone/PDA product. A REAL metal phone, like its Powerbooks, built with Apple's high standards of build quality and reliability? I feel that is almost an urgent issue as Sony is on a steady path for domination here. Its silently become one of the largest PC makers, and beginning to adopt the AIO concept, it makes attractive digital cameras and with the T610 and p900 has started to eat into Nokia's share of the mobile market. As a music supplier and with its possible takeover of BMG its well placed to become the technology provider of virtually every aspect of our digital lives. I'm sure Apple could offer something more attractive and more highly-specced, so why don't they?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    im in the same boat you are. i have a nokia 6360, i absolutely love it, but i want bluetooth. i love nokias style, but the T600 series is starting to look attractive. while i was at the AT&T store, i saw the nokia 6800 and fell in love. and then the other shoe dropped: No bluetooth so far, im still looking.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    woot, i was just browsing nokia's website and noticed that they are going to be releasing a different version of the 6800: the 6820. it has bluetooth and a camera, absolutely perfect! ive found my new phone! now i just hope that AT&T will carry it. (crosses fingers.....relizes it may be a while, hopes fingers can hold out....)