Good trade: Cube for PbG4?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys. Just about a month ago I acquired a G4 Cube and I am loving it. However, a friend has made an exceptional offer for me. My Cube is 450 mhz w/20 gig hd, 768 megs of ram, stock graphics, dvd etc. Anyways, he has offered to trade his Powerbook G4 12" for the Cube and ~$1,100. It has a 60 gb harddrive, superdrive, 512 ram, 3 years of Applecare, Airport Extreme and bluetooth. Is this a good deal on my end? One potential problem I see is the lack of a DVI port as this was the first gen model. I plan on using some sort of an LCD display and getting rid of this monster CRT I have. From what I read there is a good deal of signal degration associated with using VGA on an LCD. If someone could shed some light on these things for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    No way, keep the cube, it will be worth a lot some day, it is a good deal performance wise, though I am not even sure of that but the PowerBook G4 will never be a Cube. The person would lose a lot of performance but obviously he knows the Cube is a collectors item.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well the deal is he wants the 15" Powerbook. It's not because of the "collectors item" thing. But he wants that to use until he gets his Powerbook and after that wants it to use as a secondary machine. (He's in college so he cannot afford much space... We have some of the same reasons, but I need even more space). I am thinking I will pass on this and get the updated 15" which it comes out but I am not sure yet. Hopefully it will still be 2300 after educational discount...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ya OK, makes sense but I don't know, if it was me, I would keep the cube.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Cube + $1100 for a 1st gen 12" Powerbook? Sounds like bum deal to me. I'd say no if I were you, but if you really want to do it, check ebay and refurb sellers to get general prices of things to make sure you get a FAIR trade. Cube definately has collector value. People pay way more for them than towers.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    why give the cube AND 1100$ when for like 400$ you could have both
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

why give the cube AND 1100$ when for like 400$ you could have both

ya, exactly, add 500 and you could get a brand new 12" PowerBook and keep the G4 cube. His has all the cool stuff but do you need all that? Cube = too good to give away
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Seems the general response is a no.... This afternoon when I was looking at prices I pretty much was coming to the same conclusion. So if anyone wants a G4 Cube... Heh. Anyways, thanks for the responses thus far. The one thing I DO like is he did purchase Apple Care for it so that is a plus.