Can I get the Edu discount?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am 14 and go to a catholic highschool in Staten Island New York, and I wanted to know if I can use the Education discounts. At first I thought I could because it says if you are a student you could but this part just totally confuses me

Who is Eligible To Purchase

The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

* Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States

* School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members

* PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers

* Qualified homeschools

* Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Where am I in that or should I say, am I in that?

** Jonathan Please don't kill me, I had a bunch of tabs open, I got confused and posted this on the wrong board. **

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by john.outwater

I am 14 and go to a catholic highschool in Staten Island New York, and I wanted to know if I can use the Education discounts. At first I thought I could because it says if you are a student you could but this part just totally confuses me

The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

* Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States

* School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members

* PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers

* Qualified homeschools

* Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Where am I in that or should I say, am I in that?

** Jonathan Please don't kill me, I had a bunch of tabs open, I got confused and posted this on the wrong board. **

You are in the private K-12.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Is your school on This list? If so, you are eligible if you also meet any of the following criteria:

- Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States

- School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members

- PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers

- Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    University students can get discounts.

For the K-12 bracket, only the employees (or qualified homeschools) get discounts.

You do not qualify unless you have proof of admission to a university.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Though I wonder how Apple checks if you are a student, you don't ever send them proof that you are a student. I guess Apple checks with your school or something.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Though I wonder how Apple checks if you are a student, you don't ever send them proof that you are a student. I guess Apple checks with your school or something.

If you are ordering online you basically are signing an affadavit testifying to the fact that you are a student. I assume in person they require some sort of id.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    When I ordered online as a student I had to fax my ID to them.

As always the sales tax you pay on your edu discount often zeros out the discount and a better price can be had on line with no sales tax. ymmv