Illustrator Color Gradients?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How? For some god awful reason I can't do a color gradient in illustrator, I've tried and tried, I've looked at the manual, but whenever I try it goes black and white? HELP ME PLEASE!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Haha, color gradients in Illustrator...one of the word's great mysteries.

And if I could get Illustrator to load now I would be happy to help you out, but I can't...I'll get it working again and get back to you.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    You use the Gradient palette. It's rather easy, actually.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Here is my problem, it seems whenever I try to pick a color for a gradient it turns all my options to black and white. What am I doing wrong? Keep in mind I'm new to illustrator, but and thinking everything should be like photoshop
  • Reply 4 of 14
    You just have to klick-hold-n-drag the colour to one of the colour-tabs in the gradient palette.

• Reply 5 of 14
    Thanks. Well I don't know what to say, not only did that work (although oddly too much work for a gradient) I managed another way, which I couldn't get to work before and is how it should be. So...silly me I guess \
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I know you *THOUGHT* this thread was dead.

But...

I'm trying to recreate the FireFox icon (more or less), and althought it is taking me forever, I still want to finish. I have literally been working on it for at least two hours. Well I've been doing other stuff but I've been trying. I've got to a point that I have another gradient problem. Is there any way to do a gradient from a color to nothing...like in photoshop, color to transparent?

Original:

What I need to do:

Mine: (I just put the a quick blue circle, didn't do the world yet either)

So...can you do this?

Edit: I don't suppose anyone has the iTools...err .Mac logo in vector do they?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

...like in photoshop, color to transparent? So...can you do this?

Edit: I don't suppose anyone has the iTools...err .Mac logo in vector do they?

as of illustrator 10, you must do color to color (and to "fake" transparent, you have to blend into the color that is behind it (kinda like a white square on a white background could be called "transparent," though it's not). i do not know about illustrator cs, though.

also, if you need to do a fade to transparent, remember you CAN do masks now in illustrator.

and someone DID have almost all the apple images in either vector or psd format at some point. keep asking, and i'm sure they'll turn up.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Well a mask would work, I'm new to illustrator and didn't know you could do that, I'll check to see if the online help thing has that, I'm sure it will.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I can't get it to work for some reason.

I've always liked the iTools logo...the .Mac logo is pretty cool to not sure which I like better. Hopefully your right and someone can point me in the direction of the vector stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Well a mask would work, I'm new to illustrator and didn't know you could do that, I'll check to see if the online help thing has that, I'm sure it will.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I can't get it to work for some reason.

I've always liked the iTools logo...the .Mac logo is pretty cool to not sure which I like better. Hopefully your right and someone can point me in the direction of the vector stuff.

nice work so far, by the way. i've found this is the best way to learn an app... find some project that is a bit complex, and that you'll obsess about until it's done and done correctly.

by the end, you should have basic gradients down like a science. then you can start into blends... therein lies madness, but the TRULY AWESOME artwork you've ever seen come out of vector programs is all blends. you can skim through the illustrator wow! books from your bookstore for some really good hints and nice examples.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I've always been a fan of Down and Dirty Tricks

And Thanks I'll post a final picture when I'm done...I'll pretend people care and that they couldn't do it in a quarter of the time it has taken me
  • Reply 11 of 14
    don't forget gradient meshes

plenty of simple illustrator tutorials here
  • Reply 12 of 14
    personally I'd do a blend, then mask it off. Gradients never work really well for me either, but eh I deal with illustrator every day. Anyways do blends cuz they flatten great, though at times they don't expand super huge easily.

You could also just do a gradient I supposed and mask it off too. but whats cool about blends is you can use the bezier tool on the blend path to bend it and control it. Really cool.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I've been doing a gradient, and then a mask. I'll read up on blends when I'm done with this. Thanks everyone
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Side Note:

here it is...my first real Illustrator project...

Them:

Me: