GarageBand Help

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I hope this is posted in the right spot. I'm sure there are a lot of GarageBand users out there, I love this program, and while I have limited musical talent, I've managed to knock out a few listenable tracks. I just got a MIDI keyboard and a Mic to play with, so I'm not limited to the prerecorded loops. (yay).

I need some help making loops however. One excellent source of tracks online are MIDI files, which can be converted to GarageBand instrument tracks with a program called Dent Du Midi:

http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/ddm

It works like a champ so far (although the author says it doesn't work with ever single MIDI file). However, the instrument tracks are the whole length of a song. I want to know how to pull out a long track, and make loops out of it. I don't think I can do this directly in GarageBand. Quite a painful limitation of an otherwise excellent program (could also handle multiple tracks better).

Anyone who has advice on my particular problem please help me out, anyone who has other tips on how to use the program, sources of free audio files, or clips, etc. or other neat tricks, please feel free to post. If there is a better thread for this please point it out to me and accept my appology!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This might help Apple Loops Utility

additionally, head on over to www.icompositions.com great resource for GB enthusiasts.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I might be misunderstanding you, but can't you just throw it in there and then go to split and/or join until you get the midi in the form of a loop the way you want it?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

I might be misunderstanding you, but can't you just throw it in there and then go to split and/or join until you get the midi in the form of a loop the way you want it?

Yes, in fact you actually can do that.. but seeing as I didn't know you could do that, I could not do that, until just recently. However, thank you for the tip! Would have been useful about 1 hour ago or so!

If anyone else has any killer tips, I'd love to hear them!