Dog slow LAN transfer rates

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For a couple months now I've been getting absolutely pi$$ed off everytime I need to transfer files between my eMac and my PB. I have an AEBS plugged into the eMac and AE Airport card in the PB. I swear it's like I'm transferring files on a 14.4 modem. I started a transfer of 100 MB and it's taked over 30 minutes!!!

This is insane! Any ideas on what is possibly going on? Both systems are totally up to date and I've applied all updates/firmware to the AEBS as they've come out.

I'd really appreciate any advice/help any of you might have.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    What protocol are you using to transfer? Also run Activity Monitor.app to check network traffic, check actual speeds.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I basically have the same problem. I will try that cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

What protocol are you using to transfer? Also run Activity Monitor.app to check network traffic, check actual speeds.

I just open Finder window, click on Network, browse to the location on my eMac that I want to copy the files to and away I go. I'm not using Appletalk if that's what you were getting at...otherwise I don't know. I'm not a networking guy so this kind of stuff I just expect to work
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Yeah, I'm encountering pretty much identical stats between my two laptops connected through an Airport Extreme Base Station.

Does anyone know how to improve transfer speeds here?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    A friend of mine was suffering from extremely slow file transfers on a wired home network. After experiencing the delay myself, it finally dawned on me a day later what his problem was.

He was using an old 10Mbit hub to network his computers. That in itself certainly is no formula for speed, but even running half-duplex at 10Mbits still should have been much faster than the pathetic 25-30 KB/sec transfer rate he was getting.

It turned out that, because of the way his network was configured, whenever he sent data from one computer to another, the data went all the way upstream to his ISP from one computer, and then back downstream to the other computer. File transfers that should have happened at LAN speeds were going no faster than the upload speed of his cable modem.

Junking the hub for a gateway/router fixed the problem. Maybe even if you have such a router, however, it's possible to have a bad network configuration that causes you to pass data through your ISP rather than directly over your LAN.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to examine at my friend's network earlier. I sold him my old MDD Power Mac before I'd known he had such bad transfer rates, and it took him over THREE DAYS to get his personal files off his old iMac and onto the new Power Mac.