HandBrake crashes before finishing.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I haven't had Handbrake for a week now, and it's already f-ing up.

Before it finishes a rip of a relatively long title, like say 20+ minutes, it crashes right as it gets at the finish, and as a result the rip is corrupted (glitchy when manipulated) and soundless. Also can't be imported to iMovie, so basically completely useless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Ive had no issues with handbrake crashing, but Im using .4 ( just dl'd .5 ).

As for importing into iMovie, I would guess you'll need to convert to a mov file first ( Im trying out Divx doctor atm ).

And you'll need an mpeg4 codec to play it. Im not sure if QT comes with one or not.

Im not aware of any tools that will convert a DVD to mov with a QT codec. Apple have really left a hole in the system here.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Ive had no issues with handbrake crashing, but Im using .4 ( just dl'd .5 ).

As for importing into iMovie, I would guess you'll need to convert to a mov file first ( Im trying out Divx doctor atm ).

And you'll need an mpeg4 codec to play it. Im not sure if QT comes with one or not.

Im not aware of any tools that will convert a DVD to mov with a QT codec. Apple have really left a hole in the system here.

Well I will just tell you now that your guess is wrong, because before when HandBrake was working, the ripped .avi files were importing into iMovie fine. (And yes I had and do have the DivX codec.)

It has something to do with it crashing before completion and the data being corrupted.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I had it crash a bunch on Titan AE at 48% but I also ripped Futurama (season 1) and Firefly without a hitch. I'm working on 2 other movies as I type this.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    OK, Im still using .4 - cant see any reason to upgrade to .5.

I converted a movie I imported to .mov and installed the divx codec. The movie is importing into iMovie now. Looks like it will take a long time and Ill run out of disk before it is done ( I think it is converting it to DV format ).

What can I say? Looks like Handbrake .5 is still buggy. Tell the author, and use .4 till a fix is posted.

Are you using the ffmpeg encoder, or the _new_ xvid encoder with handbrake .5 ? Im not sure if the xvid encoder is better or not, but I dont see any other reason to go to .5
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Ill add - with the divx codec installed I can now play my ripped avi's in QT ( I normally use mplayer ). I notice that the divx codec has lots of garbage, which mplayer doesnt, so its not very good for playback.

There is a lot of variety in the DVD format, and it may well be that some movies cause issues for Handbrake. In my experience the author is responsive to good bug reports ( I have used since its first release on BeOS ).

I personally have never run into any issues with specific discs ( just big bugs in general ), and Ive found .4 to be very good. However, Im just working my way through my DVD collection, which consists of 'normal' PAL movies, ie: there isnt anything I would rip that is 20 minutes. Anything unusual is more likely to trip up bugs.

Tell the author.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Does HandBrake just rip the movies or can it compress also?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Don't violate copyright laws.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    *violates copyright laws all over ipod's mom*
  • Reply 9 of 18
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    the developer is a close friend of mine, and i've been testing the new release privately. He should put out a beta tonight.

IME it's been not only more stable, but much faster, and you guys will love the new options (MP4/OGM encoding).
  • Reply 10 of 18
    tres bien!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

the developer is a close friend of mine, and i've been testing the new release privately. He should put out a beta tonight.

IME it's been not only more stable, but much faster, and you guys will love the new options (MP4/OGM encoding).

Is that including multichannel sound? Two channels doesn't quite cut it. :-)

Also, is support for encoding VOB-files from the harddrive better? It has never worked here. :-/
  • Reply 12 of 18
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Is that including multichannel sound? Two channels doesn't quite cut it. :-)

Nope. What do you intend to play them back with?

Quote:

Also, is support for encoding VOB-files from the harddrive better? It has never worked here. :-/

It has always worked, you just need to have the DVD structure on your drive, ie multiple .vobs, not a single .vob like OSEx defaults too.

For those having issues with HB quitting close to the end of the rip, it might simply be your dvd drive over-heating on dual-pass long movies. 6hr+ rip times is pushing your dvd drive.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I've just released a beta of 0.6.0, you may get it from http://handbrake.m0k.org/. As always, suggestions and bug reports will be greatly appreciated
  • Reply 14 of 18
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    If HandBrake doesn't work for you there's always OpenShiiva.

Glad to see HandBrake supporting standard formats like MP4 and H.264.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Tried out the new .6 handbrake. I'm still having the same problem. Process crashes just as it finishes. File is corrupted. Except this time I did it in Mp4 instead of AVI, and now I can't even view the file w/o sound, it's just completely unusable.

oh well, back to forty-two. at least handbrake is good for scanning the titles and showing me their lengths so i can better estimate what title is what..
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Tried out the new .6 handbrake. I'm still having the same problem. Process crashes just as it finishes. File is corrupted.

Not to be rude, but complaining won't fix anything. Sending me the crash report might.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    don't have it. sorry. \
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

Nope. What do you intend to play them back with?

Commodity PC hardware. :-)

How to tip DVDs to still have the DVD file structure? Can I just copy it to my harddrive?