alert icons gone wrong...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
can anyone explain to me how to fix this?

i woke my laptop from sleep at the weekend (had not been used for a day or so) and instead of the yellow triangle with the ! in it, i get this!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    thats just photoshop's way of telling you something's wrong i guess... did the problem have something to do with a zip file?? that would explain it...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    no its system wide. all alert dialogue boxes now have the .zip icon instead of the yellow "!".

so odd...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Have you rebooted recently? What version of OSX are you running? (edit: never mind... I can see it's 10.3 from the dialog)

You should go into your Library folders and delete the Caches folders. Then, in the Preferences folders, delete the files whose names start with "LS". Reboot.

Then report back with your results.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Have you rebooted recently? What version of OSX are you running? (edit: never mind... I can see it's 10.3 from the dialog)

You should go into your Library folders and delete the Caches folders. Then, in the Preferences folders, delete the files whose names start with "LS". Reboot.

Then report back with your results.

I guess I understand the deleting the caches, but what praytell does LS mean? I don't have any named that so I am very curious
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The LS* files are related to Launch Services. Before 10.3 adopted greater use of the Caches folders, OSX stored information relating to application-document bindings in the LS* files. I don't think 10.3 uses them any more, but if they're there, it won't hurt to trash them and let the system recreate them upon next reboot.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

The LS* files are related to Launch Services. Before 10.3 adopted greater use of the Caches folders, OSX stored information relating to application-document bindings in the LS* files. I don't think 10.3 uses them any more, but if they're there, it won't hurt to trash them and let the system recreate them upon next reboot.

I know I've asked this before, but where exactly do you learn this stuff?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I saved a PSD the other day and the file's icon was a bizarre combination, with 4 icons in it:

Top left and top right were two identical Safari icons but both shortened/squashed.

Below were two, not sure, I think red window widgets.

It never happened again, was totally bizarre though! I should have done a screengrab, I know.

I am in 10.3.2 and do also have ShapeShifter running, so I am more than comfortable blaming SS for the time being.

I only mention this in case you are running ShapeShifter too. If there's a pattern maybe we can define it and tell the developer.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I know I've asked this before, but where exactly do you learn this stuff?

It comes purely from experience.

No joke!

I just am very inquisitive and poke around a hell of a lot with my system.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Brad, I bow down to you...

So I went and deleted the contents of the cache folders in both library directories (root and home). Then restarted and the problem is solved.

Some things to note...

Start-up was very slow to begin with

The image assigned to 'me' in address book had gone (but all the other images for other contacts were there). This effected the log-in window too.

I think this might be my imagination, but my second monitor hooked up to my PB (an ancient 20" Apple display) is now crisper and less washed out than before! Maybe there was an old setting somewhere??

Again, a big thank you to Brad!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

It comes purely from experience.

No joke!

I just am very inquisitive and poke around a hell of a lot with my system.

Now I know it's just prefrences, but, what you were just deleting random things from prefrences? IS that how you learned other stuff too?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Now I know it's just prefrences, but, what you were just deleting random things from prefrences? IS that how you learned other stuff too?

I'll tell you how he learned...lots and lots of backing up and clean installs.