XFree86 on Darwin

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a PowerBook G3 333MHz running Darwin 7.0.1

How do I install the X Window System?

Anyone have access to detailed instructions?

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    EDIT: Doh Never mind.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yellow Dog Linux does run on Apple hardware. You might want to explore their graphics driver et al if you are to bring up a GUI on Darwin.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    (i'm looking over this after having written it. it may seem long, but its not really that hard.)

i'm fairly certain that darwin 7.0.1 ships with xfree86 installed. to start x11 you'll have to run the "startx" program. you can do that quickly, by typing "/usr/X11R6/bin/startx" (without the quotes). But, you'll probably not like typeing that out all the time. If you add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path, then you can simply type "startx". Adding it to your path is a little different depending on what shell you use.

If you use csh, tcsh or similars, then you do this:

setenv PATH "$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

that will append /usr/X11R6/bin to the end of your path.

If you use sh, or almost any non-csh, then do this:

export PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

that will do similarly.

Now, since you don't want to be typing that all the time. You should add the appropriate line into your shell's startup. If you use csh or tcsh, the file is .cshrc, or .tcshrc (for csh, its .cshrc, for tcsh its optional either .tcshrc or .cshrc). Simply open that file from a text editor (vi/vim/pico/nano/emacs/...), and write in 'setenv PATH "$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"' on a new line (without the single quotes i just put in).

If you use sh, bash, zsh or any other non-csh shell, the file to look at is .profile, .bashrc, .zshrc, .[shellName]rc. Most all sh-compatible shells will look for .profile first, then .[shellName]rc. So, you can just work with .profile. The line to add is 'export PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"' (again, without the single-quotes).

After editing the appropriate file, next time you open a shell, your path will have /usr/X11R6/bin in it, and you can simply type "startx" to start up x11.

If darwin doesn't come with xfree86, you'll have to ftp over to xfree86.org (or your favorite mirror), and get the binaries (or for more fun , get the source). The binary install from there isn't so quick, but its basically simple to do. Message back if the PATH manipulation and "startx" don't work.